+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best quote of the day

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... I've got very wide tastes in music, Oliver, so I love exploring different genres and previously unheard of artists, which is part of the fun with the NAS drives and downloading new music from various sites

Can't stand playing the same old stuff, again and again, or only listening to the same music I used to listen to 20 or 30 years ago!

Marco.
    Im always on the lookout Marco, but there's very little that makes ot into my collection permanently. Digital is very good for not committing money to a shit album.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No worries, mate. I'm finding interesting new stuff all the time, especially with indie, blues, electronica and classical genres

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dennis.

So what are the criteria for choice - I know mine.

Right back in the teens and into the twenties, whilst becoming an adult, and in what I argue was a period of great musical art and revolution, and before the corporations got their hands on it, I was absolutely 'shaken' by much that I heard.

It was for me because the songs spoke of the politics (small 'p') of the world; human interactions, and abuses, injustices, and the problems to be faced. I could list all the vital formative ones, and I'm sure many here would also empathise.

But it is essentially a learning process, and one develops; Three Blind Mice may well be enchanting and exciting for a three year old, but not for one of ten, and so it goes on into a more complex understanding both intellectually, and more importantly, emotionally; the way what we hear resonates with our personal experiences, and reinforces our values.

For me, I keep little music compared with most here, but it is seminal to my growth and development, and my vinyl is historically positioned on a shelf as a record of that. I have duplicated much in CD also, and I use it as references to my own earlier emotional reactions, in my attempts to aid my current artistically similar aspirations.

If you think 'pop' is not a powerful form, then look at just how often references are made to it on news media, usually in caption form. The period I refer to was groundbreaking and shapeshifting, and has really changed society. Whether or not we address the issues positively to produce a better future, is moot.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Im always on the lookout Marco, but there's very little that makes ot into my collection permanently. Digital is very good for not committing money to a shit album.
    Ah, the shit album problem. Back when I were a lad, and had very little money, an album was a major purchase. I spent hours in record shops, flipping through the racks, trying to decide which album to buy; knowing that it would be months before my next purchase. I remember to this day my bitter disappointment when an LP I got as a birthday present turned out to be a stinker. I played it lots of times, hoping to 'get' it, then gave up on the thing. I also held on to several other rubbish LPs, but sold most of them when I ran out of money during a period of unemployment.

Now, even in terms of physical media, it's a non-issue. I got a £20 Fopp voucher as one of my birthday presents. At their prices, that means I can buy four albums, or two lots of the 'five albums by ...' series, making ten albums in total. Birthdays and Christmas aside, if I wanted to, I could spend £20 a week on albums, every week of the year. Even if half turned out to be rubbish, it'd be no big deal.

I'm Geoff.

Like it or not. The artistic revolution of the sixties and seventies was fueled by LSD and Cannabis. I have no doubt most creative people were using those and and this was the influence that brought on such radical changes. What was previously 'pop music' became the message board for the more serious feelings of young people.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Ah yes Fopp. I was once led there but they dont have an online store, or didnt. A strange turn of events when most record companies are doing the opposite. No idea to this day if they sell anything worthwhile and guess i never will..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Ah yes Fopp. I was once led there but they dont have an online store, or didnt. A strange turn of events when most record companies are doing the opposite. No idea to this day if they sell anything worthwhile and guess i never will..
    They over-expanded, went bust and closed down completely a few years back, then re-opened a few stores. They have a great selection of DVDs and rock CDs, but are less good with jazz and classical (though I've picked up some excellent jazz titles at £3 each).

I'm Gary.

It's interesting how you get your memory jogged, reminded recently of saxophonist Candy Dolfur and a song Lilly Was Here with David A Stewart. Bought the Vinyl copy off eBay.

Absolutely stunning album, produced by David Stewart himself on the Anxious label.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Ah, the shit album problem. Back when I were a lad, and had very little money, an album was a major purchase. I spent hours in record shops, flipping through the racks, trying to decide which album to buy; knowing that it would be months before my next purchase. I remember to this day my bitter disappointment when an LP I got as a birthday present turned out to be a stinker. I played it lots of times, hoping to 'get' it, then gave up on the thing. I also held on to several other rubbish LPs, but sold most of them when I ran out of money during a period of unemployment.

Now, even in terms of physical media, it's a non-issue. I got a £20 Fopp voucher as one of my birthday presents. At their prices, that means I can buy four albums, or two lots of the 'five albums by ...' series, making ten albums in total. Birthdays and Christmas aside, if I wanted to, I could spend £20 a week on albums, every week of the year. Even if half turned out to be rubbish, it'd be no big deal.
    Im not in a position to throw money at albums I dont like so I have to choose carefully. I find digital sources are great for sampling new artists

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I worked for them and it's a sorry tale how the chain died.
    We did have an online store for a while and it was actually based in my shop in Southampton - one of the largest branches - but it was only ever a half-hearted effort and we didn't do much business. It was essentially like visiting the shop itself via remote rather than accessing the vast warehouses of the major online retailers ..

The few branches still open - Bristol Park Street is a cracking little example - are mostly owned by HMV now but they kept the Fopp ethos of ultra-value prices and interesting back cat/artist selections, as well as an esoteric literature section
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast