+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plugging your power amps into a bog standard power strip

I'm Simon.

Default Plugging your power amps into a bog standard power strip

I just took my cyrus mono x200 signature power amps out of my crappy tacima £35 power bar and plugged them into a £10 bog standard power bar. Wanted to see what would happen.

I'm hearing more decent detail and bass punch and I suspect the choke on the Tacima, or whatever it is - that donut shaped thing, is really affecting the power amps to draw best current off the mains.

Has anyone tried doing this in a good set up. Just reverting to bog standard power strips for power amps.

God I need a decent mains conditioner with common mode filtering etc I think.......

I'm Brian.

I use this Simon http://www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/...er-conditioner

Have a word with Sean , he's very helpful .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Martin.

I always run the power amp straight into the wall socket. IME sticking any socket board in between the power amp and the wall socket degrades performance noticeably.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

My big belkin box has a power amp socket on it which is high current, so always used that
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I have a Belkin with a socket labelled 'amplifier' but I don't trust it to be doing anything different. You've got a double wall socket, power amp into one, power strip in the other and run all the stuff that doesn't mind off that. I've tried conditioners and balanced mains and they all made the sound worse so I figure there is nothing wrong with my leccy.

I have plugged the power amp into the mains block by accident a few times. Every time I could tell something was up almost straight away so that's as good as a blind test in my book. I don't listen at background level though, suppose you might not notice it as much if you listen at low levels.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

yeah mine is marked high current amp I think. Good disto box. the cable on it is rediculously thick
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Simon.

Definitely run your power amps directly into a wall socket. I ran my monos through a surge protector/filter for well over a year and when I had been given advice to run directly from the wall I heard a noticable difference, mainly in the dynamic shifts and overall slam (fatter kick drums being a big giveaway).

I'm Adrian.

Mine are hard wired to their own spur.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Paul.

I always suspect these are the sort of item designed for a particular type of owner, you know they type, the one who claims they can hear a difference between two sets of £1,000 interconnects.

If your equipment is designed to work on standard mains then unless there is something wrong with your mains supply these things are pointless.

But no one especially those Audiophools that spend a fortune on them will admit to that will they

And still no one after all these years sees why Audiophiles are the but of so many jokes. Even when the tweeter video posted the other day and no one guessed it was poking fun at them even when it showed the group in the room moving an inch left or right forward or backwards trying to find the sweet spot and still no one could see the film maker was taking the pee.
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Shaun.

I used a Tacima filtered whatnot for about four years and when I eventually removed it the difference without it was amazing. Since then (2009) I have plugged my pre and power straight into a wall socket. It may not really matter but I am OK with things the way they are in my system

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast