+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spendor BC1 - Thoughts and impressions wanted

I'm Andrew.

Default Spendor BC1 - Thoughts and impressions wanted

Anyone tried them, are they any good, just fancied a change and thought these looked good.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Alex.

Quite nice, bass can be a bit out of control, watch out for early models with the shrinking white bass unit surrounds.

I suspect the best ones to go for are ones with Alnico magnet bass units with the black surrounds that don't shrink very much.

I have BC1's and Rogers LS3/6 which have had replacement Dalesford Bass units, this makes them pretty well identical to early Rogers Export Monitors.

I prefer the modded LS3/6 to the BC1, just a little. Bass is tighter, and with the Export Monitor bass units, power handling is better.
    Spendorman

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Anyone tried them, are they any good, just fancied a change and thought these looked good.
    BC1s are the best speakers I've owned.
    Stupidly sold a pair I'd owned for 32 years and tried various LS3/5as and little Harbeths.
    Then I bought another pair of Spendor BC1s.
    Happiness again...

I'm James.

Apart from slightly woolly bass BC1 very nice indeed with natural acoustic presentation. Might also suggest SP1 or dare I say SP2

nice pair of active SP1's here http://www.audioflair.co.uk/products...tive-monitors/
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Apart from slightly woolly bass BC1 very nice indeed with natural acoustic presentation. Might also suggest SP1 or dare I say SP2

nice pair of active SP1's here http://www.audioflair.co.uk/products...tive-monitors/
    They look in nice condition, some say the the mid is not a magical as the BC1's, I don't know, never heard them.
    Spendorman

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    They look in nice condition, some say the the mid is not a magical as the BC1's, I don't know, never heard them.
    SP1's bit leaner and still have mid range magic as do the SP2's. The SP1 has super tweeter that just gives top end air. I may well buy these myself if I move to a bigger room.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    SP1's bit leaner and still have mid range magic as do the SP2's. The SP1 has super tweeter that just gives top end air. I may well buy these myself if I move to a bigger room.
    Powered too, I need one more of those M50 built in power amps for my BC1A!
    Spendorman

I'm Sam.

My experience is that they sound nice. Natural and nice and very musical - so good if really you listen to the musicians playing and hum along to tunes etc.

For me though they don't do the "recreation of a sound event" thing so well as other speakers which is about soundstage and speed of response to get sharp transients like you hear in real life, an aspect that I think results in "tactile sounds" and tweeks your natural reactions to real sounds e.g specific visualisations of what you're hearing.

Some people though aren't into that and might call it "hifi" and instead prefer the musical side of things..

I'm Andrew.

Thanks so far, so do I plump for passive or active?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Thanks so far, so do I plump for passive or active?
    They are a powered speaker, still the same crossover in there as the standard model, so its easy to use mod them to use on a separate amp.

Your decision, the M50 power amp is quite good, I believe that is what is in there.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast