+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Comparing vinyl sound to hi-res digital remaster

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Where did you get the download of So?
    There's a download code for it when you buy the record, and you have a choice of MP3 or 24/96000 Wav.
    The recent vinyl release is a half speed cut, and the source for the cut is a recent 24/96000 ADC transfer from the analogue stereo master tape.

I too find the vinyl a more engaging listen, and that's despite its faults.
    Yep, from the little white card in the LP sleeve. My first post was ambiguous there - sorry. Do you think the half-speed cut thing adds anything?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcC View Post
    Yep, from the little white card in the LP sleeve. My first post was ambiguous there - sorry. Do you think the half-speed cut thing adds anything?
    It gives the cutting head an easier time of it. It doesn't get so hot, and the groove is better cut as a result.
    You need to get the eq correct when you do it - something at 80Hz translates to 40Hz at the cutter head.
    Recent half speed cuts tend to use 24/96000 digital files, because they're easier to manipulate in the digital realm.
    If you do it in the analogue domain every point of contact in the tape path can adversely affect the result.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456