+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sansui PM series speakers?

I'm Dan.

Default Sansui PM series speakers?

Hello Guys

I was given exclusive access all areas in a local charity and they have a pair of Sansui PM speakers waiting to be tested and put on the shop floor - dont have the number but their quite large - is this series any good - knowing some charity's are getting greedy im not sure i want to know their price as was told most stock goes to ebay...

Thoughts welcome...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sa...k-3cSgkZBkQAM:
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Geoff.

I don't think charity shops are "getting more greedy". I think that they are under intense pressure to raise funds in a difficult economic climate. They are undoubtedly becoming more market savvy and taking steps to properly assess the market value of goods donated to them. As somebody who periodically donates to these shops I want them to raise as much from my items as they can. I am sure that most people who buy from these shops do so, at least in part, because they support the aims of the respective charity and not only because they hope to discover an underpriced gem. Sometimes when I drop items off I have a browse in the books and audio sections. My local Barnado's has a section for old vinyl with prices starting at £2. Most of these lps are awful easy listening stuff in a terrible state and will never sell even at that price. However, I guess that any good stuff is probably snapped up instantly by those who visit more frequently. On more than one occasion I have suggested to staff that they are underpricing some books, lps or cds, though I don't think they have ever acted upon my advice. I can understand why they list stuff on ebay though it is a real shame that there are not more "social outlets" for quality goods!

Geoff

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I don't think charity shops are "getting more greedy". I think that they are under intense pressure to raise funds in a difficult economic climate. They are undoubtedly becoming more market savvy and taking steps to properly assess the market value of goods donated to them. As somebody who periodically donates to these shops I want them to raise as much from my items as they can. I am sure that most people who buy from these shops do so, at least in part, because they support the aims of the respective charity and not only because they hope to discover an underpriced gem. Sometimes when I drop items off I have a browse in the books and audio sections. My local Barnado's has a section for old vinyl with prices starting at £2. Most of these lps are awful easy listening stuff in a terrible state and will never sell even at that price. However, I guess that any good stuff is probably snapped up instantly by those who visit more frequently. On more than one occasion I have suggested to staff that they are underpricing some books, lps or cds, though I don't think they have ever acted upon my advice. I can understand why they list stuff on ebay though it is a real shame that there are not more "social outlets" for quality goods!

Geoff
    Point Taken - but its not how it used to be.....now something of value its straight to ebay or look in the completed listings to see what the last item went for...dont get me wrong im happy to give the money but some are silly pricing to the highest. PS the thread is about speakers and are they worth bothering with am stating how i feel they go about things...
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Turntable
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    Point Taken - but its not how it used to be.....now something of value its straight to ebay or look in the completed listings to see what the last item went for...dont get me wrong im happy to give the money but some are silly pricing to the highest. PS the thread is about speakers and are they worth bothering with am stating how i feel they go about things...
    My point was not meant as a personal criticism but rather an empirical observation. Yes, in the past, many charities grossly underpriced donated items. You only have to look at programmes like the Antiques Roadshow to find examples where somebody paid 50p for an item in a charity shop suspecting it to be more valuable and then having it valued at £500 or more. I suspect that another reason that many charity stores are using ebay relates to health and safety laws. A fews years back I was heading off for another long term overseas assignments and had a number of surplus electrical/electronics items. Despite them being in excellent condition, many charity shops turned them down because their policy was not to sell "untested" electricals. I eventually found a mental health charity that took them because had a deal with a local electronics shop to sell them on.

As for the Sansui Speakers, a university colleague had a pair that looked very similar to these in the mid 1980s and may have been that model. They were very listenable but if I recall correctly were not the most detailed design. They were certainly inferior to another friend's somewhat smaller Tannoys!

Geoff

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    My point was not meant as a personal criticism but rather an empirical observation. Yes, in the past, many charities grossly underpriced donated items. You only have to look at programmes like the Antiques Roadshow to find examples where somebody paid 50p for an item in a charity shop suspecting it to be more valuable and then having it valued at £500 or more. I suspect that another reason that many charity stores are using ebay relates to health and safety laws. A fews years back I was heading off for another long term overseas assignments and had a number of surplus electrical/electronics items. Despite them being in excellent condition, many charity shops turned them down because their policy was not to sell "untested" electricals. I eventually found a mental health charity that took them because had a deal with a local electronics shop to sell them on.

As for the Sansui Speakers, a university colleague had a pair that looked very similar to these in the mid 1980s and may have been that model. They were very listenable but if I recall correctly were not the most detailed design. They were certainly inferior to another friend's somewhat smaller Tannoys!

Geoff
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Turntable
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Martyn.

Do Forum members 'rate' Japanese speakers ?
    I know they are/were popular with some people.
    I once owned a pair of Sony SS1000s, which were actually B & W DM1s.
    Japanese speakers were more popular in the States, I recall.

I'm Geoff.

The Yamaha NS-1000 is eternally popular, but there have been some lovely speakers from Sansui, Technics and Pioneer etc.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

In the case of "do forum members rate Japanese speakers?"

Fuck yes ! (Sorry for swearing but im very enthusiastic about it)

Walpurgis recommend a pair of Pioneer CS-77A to me.

They are simply the best speakers ive ever heard. Im not saying they are best speakers on earth im saying I have never heard anything better. The Japs made some excellent speakers but didnt export them. DIATONE for one example made some very high end stuff which I think may have changed the game had they exported them.

Sony made the A5 "La Voce" (?) Which was the first jap speaker to win a French award. Extremely rare though.

I dont know that model but my advice is if they are affordable and not priced to lose you money, give them a go.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm nigel.

if you pull the pin and the speakers become yours, I suggest you open them up for a looksee.
    I would put money on the wiring being painfully thin bellwire.....swap this out for some heavier gauge cable to (slightly) improve the sound.

there will probably be no wadding present too.
    adding some....and possibly glueing some thin carpet to the internal walls will smooth the response, yer cheaper Japanese boxes tend to be a bit "shouty".

NIGE.

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    In the case of "do forum members rate Japanese speakers?"

Fuck yes ! (Sorry for swearing but im very enthusiastic about it)

Walpurgis recommend a pair of Pioneer CS-77A to me.

They are simply the best speakers ive ever heard. Im not saying they are best speakers on earth im saying I have never heard anything better. The Japs made some excellent speakers but didnt export them. DIATONE for one example made some very high end stuff which I think may have changed the game had they exported them.

Sony made the A5 "La Voce" (?) Which was the first jap speaker to win a French award. Extremely rare though.

I dont know that model but my advice is if they are affordable and not priced to lose you money, give them a go.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I think the Moderator should do something about expletives on this Forum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast