+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: Deaf Row!

I'm Paul.

Love those switches !

They look like you raided Action Man's kitchen and nicked his cooking pots and turned 'em upside down
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Geoff.

There's a tidy BD1 just listed on ebay if anybody is interested. These little decks punch way above their weight.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172622148659?ul_noapp=true
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Spec is here:

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Found this Little Bear MC2 passive pre-amp waiting for me on my return from hols.

I figured it was worth a go at a mere £26.95 from ebay, free post too from China: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MC2-Fully-.../292091442510?

I thought it might be suitable for use with the Quad 306 power amp. It is. I have it wired up and it sounds very good. Bargain!

It comes with RCA and balanced inputs and outputs.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Does it support fully balanced connections? I would have thought to do that it needs to have four potentiometers - I can only see two, but since the PCB is double sided, I could be mistaken.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Does it support fully balanced connections? I would have thought to do that it needs to have four potentiometers - I can only see two, but since the PCB is double sided, I could be mistaken.
    Not properly I think Barry. Not checked the PCB, but I suspect the 'balanced' connections are just paralled. They can be selected via switching.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    As I was at a loose end, awaiting capacitors for my Corelli renovation, I had a ponder about a pre-amp to go with the Quad 306. Well, this is now on its way to me.

Yes. It's a Moth Series 30 pre-amp. But not the usually seen passive unit. This is the very rare and extremely good active pre-amp. It should be an excellent match to the Quad. As soon as it arrives, I'll give it a basic service and respray the wood front panel in black to match the rest of my gear. If you've not heard the Moth amps, well, they are nothing short of excellent! The MM/MC phono stage is a wonderful sounding little device. I had one for years.

It's a Stan Curtis design and here's a bit from him about it:

This is just a bit of fun really. I already have two extremely good pre-amps!
    This nice little pre-amp has too high an initial output to be a comfortable match to the Quad 306. I've checked the volume pot and it's a 10k item. I'll bung a 100k pot in and see if that makes the volume roll-in a bit more user friendly.

I'm Geoff.

Got four pre-amps now. A VTL Deluxe I've had for many years, a very sumptuous sounding valve job, with an amazingly good MM phono stage (not tried it with the Quad 306 yet). Then there's the Moth Series 30 mentioned in the last post. Next, the recently purchased and dirt cheap Little Bear MC2 passive, which works just fine with the Quad. Lastly and by far the best sounding, the MingDa MC-9 TVC unit, which has amazing sound quality.

I'm Shane.

The big number of times I've met that MingDa

S.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    The big number of times I've met that MingDa

S.
    Get one?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast