+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More mains musings....Eliminating hum from speakers and improvements going forward.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueflash View Post
    I have got a bit mental with the cables. I have 16mm going into an industrial 32A switch to power the BMU and 2 off 10mm going into the Furutech double socket.

Later in the year I will be running 25mm cable into the dedicated CU instead of the 10mm T&E which is feeding it at present. I am copying the setup that is used in the Astoria recording studio as designed by Philip Newall.
    How come you've got two T&E cables going into one double socket? I don't know the Furutech, but why would it have two sets of inputs ?

Can I assume you're replacing your 10mm2 T&E feeding your c.u. with tails? This is the normal installation procedure from either the meter or the junction box, surely. 10mm2 would be used for your radials (which I think you do). I have tails to my c.u. (with individual RCBOs) and 10 as well as 6 mm2 radials to (effectively)my kit.

I'm not familiar with balanced mains (nor really understand it), and don't use any mains regeneration units, though a local chap with pretty classy kit put one in, onto his one h/d radial and hasn't looked back.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    How come you've got two T&E cables going into one double socket? I don't know the Furutech, but why would it have two sets of inputs ?

Can I assume you're replacing your 10mm2 T&E feeding your c.u. with tails? This is the normal installation procedure from either the meter or the junction box, surely. 10mm2 would be used for your radials (which I think you do). I have tails to my c.u. (with individual RCBOs) and 10 as well as 6 mm2 radials to (effectively)my kit.

I'm not familiar with balanced mains (nor really understand it), and don't use any mains regeneration units, though a local chap with pretty classy kit put one in, onto his one h/d radial and hasn't looked back.
    The Furutech double socket is two separate sockets on one face plate so instead of using jumper wires from one socket to the other, I am using one 10mm LF-329 cable for each socket.

I will be replacing the 10mm cable with LF-329 25mm cable which is very well screened so hopefully will render my setup immune to the effects of RFI.

With the balanced mains transformer, it gets rid of any DC or RFI on the mains supply so it will sound the same even during peak usage times.

I do not have to wait until after 9-00 pm to get the best listening experience.

+ Reply to Thread