+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl or CD?

I'm James.

Default Vinyl or CD?

Some time in the near future I'll be upgrading my source but I don't know what to go for I find the idea of vinyl very appealing even the whole physical side of it leads me to think I would get more enjoyment out of it

Then again CD is what I know and love, the simplicity of it and next to zero maintenance is good if you just wanna listen to music without any fuss and placement in my tiny room might not work for vinyl

My experience with vinyl is very limited or next to none I've heard some cheap crap that hasn't been cleaned or looked after and I wouldn't really count that as an experience

I want to know how do the two different sounds compare and what's your opinion on the matter
    MY SYSTEM
    SOURCES: Marantz cd63 mk2 ki, Marantz cd6000ose
    AMPLIFICATION: Albarry m408s mono blocs with ap3 pre
    CABLES: Chord company c-line, Monster interlink 400, QED silver speaker cable, Tacima cs947 mains conditioner
    SPEAKERS: Mission 752 freedoms, AKG K550 mk2 headphones

I'm James.

How much are you prepared to invest in either time or money, or probably both?
    Do you have any records? Re-releases are expensive and often not very good quality, old second hand albums are a crap shoot there days (excuse the Americanism).
    If answers above are none or not much then I'd move cautiously if at all into vinyl. If however you have interest in material only available on record, be it 33 or 45 or 78, or enjoy the tactility, or prioritise the organic qualities of reproduction that analogue can bring then have a play. It's loads of fun!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Shaun.

It is very easy to always say "Stick with what you know" but had human kind always done that we would still be flying biplanes. I like many have both and for me CD just edges forward of vinyl. Most of our electronic music is only on CD so this narrows things down a bit but Sue and I have always agreed that CD is way more forceful and in your face than vinyl in our system. Yes, this may be down to using an Audiolab M-DAC with it's transient filtering but it certainly suits our main choice of music. Also, Sue is a huge fan of Metallica and it suits this just as much. So, in answer to your query, I think it is best to have both. You can never have too many options can you...?

I'm Shaun.

Oh yes of course, multi disc albums, getting up to change sides every three tracks. Constantly cleaning and using anti static devices. Ticks and pops albeit very infrequently. Yeah...? Sounding good...?

I'm nigel.

I, like many, junked vinyl in the early 90s.
    To be honest the "ritual" regarding LP playback was, I think overestimated and the poor, warped, recycled vinyl releases put out by mainstream labels in the last year's of the golden age made me glad to switch to CD.

Being a typically fickle erm...hifi lover, I have often gazed with jealous eyes at the beautiful modern and vintage TTs around these days but I jolt myself back to ground when I consider the price of new plastic compared to new and used COs, to say nothing of the tedious cleaning and dusting.

Imho CD replay can be a nice experience with carefully matched kit.....My top tip....get you self a tube pre or buffer.
    By buying CDs instead of vinyl you'll soon have enough cash to finance the purchase.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by James the Albarry lover View Post
    Some time in the near future I'll be upgrading my source but I don't know what to go for I find the idea of vinyl very appealing even the whole physical side of it leads me to think I would get more enjoyment out of it

Then again CD is what I know and love, the simplicity of it and next to zero maintenance is good if you just wanna listen to music without any fuss and placement in my tiny room might not work for vinyl

My experience with vinyl is very limited or next to none I've heard some cheap crap that hasn't been cleaned or looked after and I wouldn't really count that as an experience

I want to know how do the two different sounds compare and what's your opinion on the matter
    How many CDs do you have?

How many records do you have?
    Cheers, Will

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    How many CDs do you have?

How many records do you have?
    About 50 CDs
    0 records
    MY SYSTEM
    SOURCES: Marantz cd63 mk2 ki, Marantz cd6000ose
    AMPLIFICATION: Albarry m408s mono blocs with ap3 pre
    CABLES: Chord company c-line, Monster interlink 400, QED silver speaker cable, Tacima cs947 mains conditioner
    SPEAKERS: Mission 752 freedoms, AKG K550 mk2 headphones

I'm Geoff.

Playing records does not have to cost a fortune. I have several turntables, but recently just for a bit of fun and for nostaglia's sake, I picked up a seventies Pioneer PL-12D for forty quid, including a decent Shure M75ED cartridge. You know what? It makes music and sounds really nice, it's certainly Hi-Fi. All I did was give it a clean, drop of oil or two, new belt and a heavier platter mat. And, they're dead reliable!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by James the Albarry lover View Post
    About 50 CDs
    0 records
    I've about 3k cds (ripped to flac) and 1k albums, so I need both replay means, however if I were you I'd focus on a good subscription/streaming solution, as you've no current large investment in any physical medium...you could always buy CDs for local ripping/streaming too
    Cheers, Will

I'm Matt.

Vinyl for tactile, emotive enjoyment.
    Streaming for convenience, access to a massive library & discovering music.
    CD........no. Unless you already have a cd collection, I wouldn’t bother.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast