+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edingdale speaker questions

I'm Bruce.

Default Edingdale speaker questions

Seeing the Edingdale speakers that RichB sold recently, I've become a bit curious always keeping in the back of my mind future speaker possibilities. I was attracted by the mention of a midrange with electrostatic-like presentation. I had a much loved Von Schweikert (VR4) whose midrange had those qualities as well, and have always loved Maggies... but no room for them.

One user described the Edingdale speakers as having powerful yet well controlled, and tight bass. My lounge is fairly small (12’ x 16’) and full of furniture, with only a couple options for speaker placement. The current placement of my Proac 1sc benefits from the bass lift of a room node yet is enough on the edge of it to provide decent control without too much unwanted bloom. With the depth of the Edingdales, the cabinet back would be only 8 inches from the front wall. Should I assume they are likely to overwhelm my this size of a room with their bass unless put well out from the wall? Has anyone experimented with filler in the port to attenuate bass output, with good effect maintaining texture, detail, and control?

Are the middle two drivers for the midrange, and the bottom two for bass? My current room requires a sofa arm in front of one of the speakers, which is not a problem for standmounts, but would block direct radiation from the bottom two drivers on one channel of the floorstanding Edingdales . What is the crossover point... low enough, that sound, clarity, and staging would not be bothered by sofa arm obstruction?
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by brucew268 View Post
    Are the middle two drivers for the midrange, and the bottom two for bass?
    No.
    The drivers are series/parallel wired, and their output is identical.
    The Edingdales are a 2 way loudspeaker.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

I think you would get away with it. They are not shy in the bass but they don't overblow it either.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Hi Bruce,
    Edingdale owner here hope I can help.

Regarding speaker placement, I've found they aren't as fussy as you might think about bass when placed close to the wall.
    Mines are about 6" from the back wall and there's no bass bloom or boom, its all tight and correct.
    I know of another owner who's room is similar to yours if not smaller and he has no issue with bass whatsoever.

The speakers image really really well, the sound isn't really locked to the speaker cabinet as such, so if I had to guess I'd say the sofa arm in front (whilst not being ideal) wouldn't have too much of an impact imaging wise.

I'm Twisted.

Hi Bruce

Another long term and happy Edingdale owner here. I use the speakers in a relatively small basement room where they sound fantastic.

They do indeed have a great midrange. Soft vocals really breathe. Close your eyes and its like the singer is in the room with you.

My room acoustics, with a very low ceiling, do emphasise bass a little - and these speakers have a very wide range - so I have them more into the room. i did try some damping with acoustic foam but I felt that it muddied and slowed the lowest tones.

In another room ith a more normal ceiling height I was very happy with them in close proximity to the wall.

Simon

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Bruce.

Thank you all for the feedback. I'll keep these in mind for the future.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm Kevin.

Another Edingdale question if I may.

Has anybody heard the mK.II and if so, how does it compare to the mk.I?
    It is currently on my shortlist for a speaker with a bigger dynamic range and "slam" than my FH3s.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Martin.

I preferred the Mk1 but the Mk2 was only in prototype form at the time IIRC
    Current Lash Up:

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I preferred the Mk1 but the Mk2 was only in prototype form at the time IIRC
    And it was in a pub at the time, as well.
    Thinking about it it was also in a pub when you heard the Mk1s .....
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    And it was in a pub at the time, as well.
    Thinking about it it was also in a pub when you heard the Mk1s .....
    I have heard the Mk1s elsewhere as well.

The significance of the pub is escaping me though...?
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast