Closed Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Phono Stage Shootout

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Sorry to say this, Slav but the tone of your post is condescending and disrespectful.

"Just a little crusader" "match Tron's sales numbers" ???

No one has disputed how successful Graham has been and how successful I hope he is in the future.

The need for testing every single scientific difference is not necessarily as your ears tell you everything you need to know. Have you scientifically tested every pair of speaker cables you've tried to see which are the best or did you plug them in and listen then pick the ones that sound best?

Im also wondering where the unbiased protection is for ALL registered traders.

Whilst talking about tact, why didnt you message Alan directly and raise your concerns/opinion with him?

Seems you prefered to jump on this thread and throw insulting phrases around.

Like I said Marco, its getting OTT. As the OP, I am requesting this thread be closed. please feel free to delete all the content apart from the original post.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I admit I went OTT and I apologise to Alan ,
    To answer your question about measurements , yes I do buy HiFi based on measurement , I shortlist best and do listening tests then , same with analogue hence my Zyx despite sounding nice went back for inspection after 100 hours of use as I wasn't impressed with it's frequency response .
    Once again I apologise concerned/insulted members
    I have deleted that part of my post

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    For goodness sake, Oliver. Get a grip... When you start a thread, you can't expect it all to go your own way! People with a different opinions are entitled to express them, although I agree that the "little crusader" comment from Slav was out of order, which he should retract.

However, nothing is "getting OTT", unless you have an objection to robust debate, or someone saying something you don't like. We don't practice censorship here. Therefore, the thread will be staying open, so that everyone can have their fair say.

Marco.
    I have no issue with debate and I am happy to debate with anyone. I am also in no need of "getting a grip" but thanks for the advice.

There is no "my way" as I am not invested in the direction of any product other than the FB-OTP. The very phonostage that finished last in our tests 😂

The debate is focused mainly on GT being upset, Firebottle revealing a mod and who should have done what, rather than the shootout itself which is why I felt it wasn't serving its purpose as a review thread hence my request to close it.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    I admit I went OTT and I apologise to Alan ,
    To answer your question about measurement , yes I do buy HiFi based on measurement , I shortlist best and do listening tests then , same with analogue hence my Zyx despite sounding nice went back for inspection after 100hours of use as I wasn't impressed with it's frequency response .
    Once again I apologise concerned/insulted members
    Fair enough, slav. I suspect when youve selected the best on spec you then buy with your ears as we all do. I do understand your point and I respect it but my ears tell me the difference with and without the mod and thats in comparison with itself!

I'm Slav.

Fair enough, slav. I suspect when youve selected the best on spec you then buy with your ears as we all do. I do understand your point and I respect it but my ears tell me the difference with and without the mod and thats in comparison with itself!

My point was "improvement" should be measurable otherwise is not an improvement but just different , somehow skewed version .
    You need to measure something before trying to improve it , as I said earlier initial setup might not have been "correct" and if you applied same changes in the more truthful setup it might not bring any improvement but something completely opposite, just my opinion on the subject.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    My point was "improvement" should be measurable otherwise is not an improvement but just different , somehow skewed version .
    You need to measure something before trying to improve it , as I said earlier initial setup might not have been "correct" and if you applied same changes in the more truthful setup it might not bring any improvement but something completely opposite, just my opinion on the subject.
    Does a perfectly formed square wave suffice as measurable? If so the Tron now produces perfect square waves which wasn't the case previously?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Does a perfectly formed square wave suffice as measurable? If so the Tron now produces perfect square waves which wasn't the case previously?

At what frequency? 20Hz, 1kHz or 10kHz?
    Barry

Bigman80 Guest

Good question lol. I think it was 1khz but im not 100%

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I have no issue with debate and I am happy to debate with anyone. I am also in no need of "getting a grip" but thanks for the advice.
    Well, Oliver, firstly if you're happy to debate with anyone, then why request that the thread is closed, and therefore shut down the debate? Quite simply, those two stances are not mutually compatible.

Secondly, if I think you need to get a grip, I'll tell you. You (seemingly) throwing your toys out the pram because things weren't all going your way, and saying that the thread should be closed, was ample reason for me to tell you to get a grip! Petulance will always be given short shrift here.

Lastly, please understand that WE (the mods and myself) are the ones who decide whether threads are serving their purpose or otherwise, not you, or for that matter anyone else, and you must respect that.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well, Oliver, firstly if you're happy to debate with anyone, then why request that the thread is closed, and therefore shut down the debate? Quite simply, those two stances are not mutually compatible.

Secondly, if I think you need to get a grip, I'll tell you. You (seemingly) throwing your toys out the pram because things weren't all going your way, and saying that the thread should be closed, was ample reason for me to tell you to get a grip! Petulance here will always be given short shrift.

Lastly, please understand that WE (the mods and myself) are the ones who decide whether threads are serving their purpose or otherwise, not you, or for that matter anyone else, and you must respect that.

Marco.
    Im afraid youre taking the wrong stance with me Marco. Im in no way going to accept being spoken to like a petulant child by you or anyone else.

I requested the thread be closed as I felt it was no longer serving the purpose intended. As the author it is my right to request and as a Mod, its right right to decline.

No toys were thrown at any point regardless of your opinion.

Also, I am still unsure of what is supppsed to be going my way. It was an unbiased write up so by the very term "unbiased" I have no preference in which phono stage is the winner

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Im afraid youre taking the wrong stance with me Marco. Im in no way going to accept being spoken to like a petulant child by you or anyone else.
    Oliver, I'll take the stance with you that I think is necessary, as I'm owner of this forum, so my decisions are final and not up for debate. You're certainly taking the wrong stance with me, and a dangerous one too, if you value retaining your membership.

If you don't want to be treated as a "petulant child" then, quite simply, don't act like one! Continually requesting that the thread is closed because you don't approve of the direction it's taking *is* an act of petulance, whether you agree or not.

As I've said, it's not up to you to decide whether a thread is serving its purpose or otherwise. Discussions on AoS are 'organic', and so can evolve in unpredictable ways. As long as they're being carried out politely and respectfully by all concerned, and no-one is behaving unsatisfactorily, then there are no rules about what direction they should take.

The only exception to this is in the classifieds section with sales threads.

However, you seem to be one of these folk who go on and on, insisting on things being as YOU say they should, and don't know when to STFU and respect ultimately who makes the decisions here. Therefore, any further 'backchat' from you will result in a week's holiday, so I suggest that you wind your neck in now and give it a rest.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast