+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 384khz?

I'm Martin.

No I am serious. Marc's thinking on this mirrors mine. Although that will probably make him reconsider
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

In my formation my Father, who was a librarian, but thought he was so intellectual that he could alter speaker designers' intentions, created a mono system that sounded awful.

This has I am sure influenced my perception of sound as a formative experience, as do all our early experience and in all areas; it is not only formal education which 'educates' us.

We carry this with us everywhere we go and with varying abilities to adapt and correct for them, and they will affect to some degree the whole of our life futures.

The measured parameters serve only as a guide because they are well established as criteria for a good piece of equipment, but they do not define it entirely.

We then have to choose that which violates least our own particular genetically based sensibilities.

There was a war in South America many centuries ago in which two tribes fought because one liked brown bananas, and the other yellow ones, the difference only being that enzymes have turned starch into sugars more in the brown ones.

One tribe slaughtered the other; what a sensible race we are?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    In my formation my Father, who was a librarian, but thought he was so intellectual that he could alter speaker designers' intentions, created a mono system that sounded awful.
    Sounds like my father. He thought Hi-Fi was a nonsense idea, being a serious and stern WW2 electronics Wiz, it was a subjective principle that had no value to him. Trouble is, he definitely was an intellectual, but an indeflectible one.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by the_doc735 View Post

I personally prefer bananas that aren't quite ripe.
    What does a banana taste like? Food or wine might influence how we hear?
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-taste-of-wine
    Last edited by Jimbo; 21-03-2017 at 07:10.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Gary.

Replying to your post Marc, but comments were meant more generally, not specifically addressing things you may or not have said.
    No insult implied fella.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    Yes spectroscopy tells you about the chemical composition. Agreed, I don't think I've made any such claims.

Agreed re 'universality', again I don't think I've made any such claims. I'll take your word for it re 'measurebators' as it's not an area of expertise for me. Maybe you intend it to be an insult? I'm not sure it's actually anything that contributes to the discussion at hand through, as its not something I see myself as nor something I believe you have the right to label me as.

Hmm, I'm not sure anyone with experience of mass market research in product development would agree. Correlating real world data with human feedback is the basis of pretty much all modern marketing - if you don't believe me check out 'The Hidden Persuaders' by a chap called Vance Packard, written some time in the mid 50s. The 'why' (as you've observed above) is harder to ascertain, but it's not a problem because I don't really care what the reasons are for anybody else, as long as they're happy with their choices.

Yup, but it doesn't mean that I can't find some features of wine (or music) that I like and use those features to help me find more of the stuff I like, rather than wasting my time at square one every time I'm presented with a choice - subjectivity doesn't compel one to inconsistancy does it?

If, having tried all the wine on the shelf, I decide I like ones that are 'fruity' (according to my own, subjective, opinion of what that means) I'll pick 'fruity' ones, if each time I find one I like for its 'fruityness' (subjectivly assessed) I put in in a spectroscope and realise there is a repeated feature in chemical make up of the ones I like I might assume that that contributed to what I was subjectively assessing to be fruityness? Indeed I could go one further and choose a wine that didn't have that chemical feature to see if it had or lacked the fruityness I sought to help calibrate my understanding. That understanding could help me have more of a good time and less of a bad time, yet you seem to want to argue that that is somehow a bad thing to want, or that even simply trying to achieve it makes me somehow 'wrong'?

And none of this has any bearing on your preferences or decision making strategies as to what wine you choose to drink (or music you listen to, or the platform you listen to it on) as (wonderfully) that's entirely your perogative.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What does a banana taste like? Food or wine might influence how we hear?
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-taste-of-wine
    It depends on which banana type you eat. I have tried several different varieties in my life.

I'm Marc.

People who touch, smell or look at fruit before they eat it make me sick!

Fruit is only about the taste and the only way to determine that is to taste it, durr!

What sort of idiot would waste their time using any other sensory apparatus or source of so called 'information' than their mouths to determine what the deal is with a piece of fruit?!

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    People who touch, smell or look at fruit before they eat it make me sick!

Fruit is only about the taste and the only way to determine that is to taste it, durr!

What sort of idiot would waste their time using any other sensory apparatus or source of so called 'information' than their mouths to determine what the deal is with a piece of fruit?!
    With all those green picked fruits that have been artificially ripened before ending up on the supermarket shelves, it is very difficult to imagine how the smell of a fruit affects its taste. It is even possible to detect from the smell if some fruits are ripe enough to eat, or not. Mind you, some fruits have to be shaken, slightly squeezed, or tapped with a knuckle in order to find out if they are ripe enough to be eaten.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    It depends on which banana type you eat. I have tried several different varieties in my life.
    Hi Stan, how you doing? Are you still in touch with Adrian?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    some fruits have to be shaken, slightly squeezed, or tapped with a knuckle in order to find out if they are ripe enough to be eaten.
    The ripeness of a fruit is in the eating, anyone who tries to circumvent this is likely a 'fruitibator'

Special circles of hell also reserved for:

Walkers who use maps

Ornithologists who use any form of taxonomy, rather than just determining species on sight according to their own preference and naming conventions.

Astronomers who use telescopes

Chefs who use recipes and those poor souls who engage in the pointless 'holy war' of whether it's better to cook with fire, gas or electric heat, when we all know they take food further away from the source and the only real food is raw food

People who believe a 100watt lightbulb will be brighter than a 60watt light bulb, every time I need a new light bulb I buy both and assess for myself which is the brightest and use that one

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast