+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are CDs digitized from master tapes?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    I know when CD's Hit the mass market in the 80's there was such a rush to release their back catalogues on CD than many hit the market that where little more than direct from LP to CD copy, needle drop, pop and clicks all included for free. It was not what CD sound was supposed to be, it was sold as free from all those annoying clicks and pops we all look for nowadays

Paul
    That has to be an urban myth. No major label released a CD that was copied from a vinyl record. Have you got any specific examples?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That has to be an urban myth. No major label released a CD that was copied from a vinyl record. Have you got any specific examples?
    I reckon too. Sounds unlikely.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Mmmm... I have a place in my sound system for both analogue and digital (compact disc) and I also own some albums on both formats because I never quite know how the mood is going to get me. I don't really have a preference for one over the other because I constantly cannot make up my mind so prefer to have both options. I do however find that compact disc sounds a lot cleaner and sharper than vinyl in my system but that vinyl sounds a bit more realistic in my room. Fortunately, I do not really have to choose one over the other. I like it just the way it is but if the record industry started producing CD's mastered from vinyl I would be highly pissed off.
    Why would that piss you off? The situation is not necessarily either/or. The 'needle drop' could be offered as yet another format. Sort of like "also available as a high resolution download, and also as a needle drop download". So you get to pick and choose your favourite format. What's wrong with that?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Ryan Adams has released a 'needle drop' download in addition to the regular digitized master tape (i.e. CD). Sounds pretty mainstream to me.

In the more of a 'grey market' arena, I remember receiving a John McLaughlin "Devotion" CD back in the late '90s from a publishing house that wanted me to review the CD on my blog. It was very obvious that the CD was cut from a 'needle drop' source, and from a shockingly bad LP -- lots of pops and clicks etc. Still, it sounded pretty decent. (I may still have that CD lying somewhere in my basement)
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

So that's a yes to my first question then. Not sure what the situation is in Canada but in UK you couldn't do it legally.
    You couldn't do that legally in any developed country, unless you own the publishing rights of the material you plan to distribute.

Alex.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Ryan Adams has released a 'needle drop' download in addition to the regular digitized master tape (i.e. CD). Sounds pretty mainstream to me.

)
    That's a bit different to suggesting that some early CD releases were needle drops, though. it was a flagship new format - in 1983 discs cost £12 which is about £30 in today's money. If any of them had just been copied off the vinyl I think we would have heard about it.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Paul.

No urban myth as I personally owned a couple of them, no longer own them though, and my memory is too shot to remember the names, but they did exist I can assure you of that.

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Alex.

http://www.stockfisch-records.de/pag...2_dmmcd_e.html

Alex.

I'm Martin.

That's recent though, Paul was talking about the early days of CD unless I'm mistaken. I've read that a lot of the early releases were not processed in any way, they just dug the master tape out, started it running into the ADC and went for ciggy and a cup of tea so any blemishes the tape had picked up were faithfully transferred. I've got an Issac Hayes CD that has a couple of drop outs on it (not the band).

Maybe someone else recalls the vinyl transfers and what albums they were?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Shaun.

Why would that piss you off? The situation is not necessarily either/or. The 'needle drop' could be offered as yet another format. Sort of like "also available as a high resolution download, and also as a needle drop download". So you get to pick and choose your favourite format. What's wrong with that?
    That has to be extremely unlikely.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast