+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest Project - EAR 834P CLONE

I'm David.

It's a great stage for the money the basic kit from DOUK is very good but you can get much better results by following the advice here http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/ind...?topic=26658.0 and in the near future there should also be an uprated PSU currently known as Roberts PSU.

I've built a two box version following the advice with carefully matched components and for about £250. With all the advice out there even for an electronics novice providing your careful it's certainly within most HiFi fans capacity to build one of these stages. The main thing hampering the original EAR 834 was the quality of the components used and the MC SUT's...well if you change those to 1% matched components and get some decent SUT's( if required for MC carts) and you've got a pocket rocket.

Most of the changes proposed were suggested by a guy called Thorsten when Romy The Cat was building his ultimate reference 834 stage....so if it's good enough for extreme Audiophiles like Romy it's good enough for me
    David.

I'm Andrew.

I'm already a member of LH and I'm following the threads with great excitement!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Sorry to p*ss on your parade Andy but IMO the 834 will never make 'reference' standard.

Its biggest problem is that it employs feedback equalisation, that gives a 'compressed' sound.

Just saying
    Whilst I agree that the 834 will never make a reference phono stage I disagree with the reason. IMO a feedback phono stage can sound just as good as a no feedback one. A feedback stage has several technical advantages over a no feedback one also. It's all down to how it's implemented
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Alan.

I'll go with that, it's a different set of compromises, so I will just say I prefer the passive rather than feedback EQ sound.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I'll go with that, it's a different set of compromises, so I will just say I prefer the passive rather than feedback EQ sound.

I wouldn't even say there is a particular passive eq sound or feedback eq sound! Maybe a series feedback V shunt feedback difference though yes.

A feedback eq stage will generally have much greater dynamic range than a passive version, technically that is, I'm not referring to subjective effects.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I am interested to know, does the paradise use feedback equalisation?
    No, it doesn't - but Andy is looking for a MM stage and the Paradise is strictly MC only.

P.S. You know you can turn off the 'sent from my phone' signature.
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    No, it doesn't - but Andy is looking for a MM stage and the Paradise is strictly MC only.

P.S. You know you can turn off the 'sent from my phone' signature.
    That's very interesting. I may try and build a paradise stage one day. I'd like to hear what it can do.....and I did know. Thanks 😉

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Deleted.

Default Latest Project - EAR 834P CLONE

Bear in mind the circuit boards are becoming very hard to find and there is a lot of component sourcing and matching to do.
    Last edited by YNWaN; 03-07-2017 at 20:52.
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Bear in mind the circuit boards are becoming very hard to find and there is a lot if component sourcing and matching to do.
    Oh, maybe I'll start a bit simpler lol

I'm Jez.

I'd consider designing a "paradise on the cheap" if there was the demand... but there isn't....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast