+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Pop Music Got Worse In Recent Decades?

I'm Martin.

All Dan is absolutely essential.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Like Steely Dan's 'Aja' which somehow passed me by till I bought a copy last year - always liked the Dan, but not heard all their stuff.
    I was glad I was sitting down, I nearly fell of my chair.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

I know it must be a bit of a shock, AOS member who's never heard 'Aja'! Here's another shocker - I still need Pretzel Logic and Can't buy A Thrill to complete. But this kind of stuff I prefer to get on vinyl, so it's a slow process.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Amazon have Aja on sale on vinyl. Great cover20£
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I have concluded that it is an age thing and I wonder what will cheese off the young generation when their kids come along ...because that will happen to some degree.

You guys have already mentioned that this is a topic that has carried on through the generations

I see young students with Hendrix and Beatles posters in their student digs but they will still list their main interests as Ed Sheeran or Minaj for example.

I found myself with strange and condescending thoughts that the young know nothing about music which cant be fair as they listen to lots of stuff they seem to like. I instantly dont want to go near it but that again is probably unfair. They tend to think I know nothing about their scene which is probably true. What niggles is they will mention say Birdy as if Im a grandad that needs help to understand the better new music..as if I need educating about music and not them

What hurts me is that Joy Division The Smiths or The Fall doesnt seem to register with them as if time has moved on.. Indeed it has but how dare they not recognise the seminal music which changed my life

I just think I am harder to impress now as Ive heard so much music. Have I become wiser? I like Opera now and find a good production very moving

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Yes I was thinking that it is probably me.

Im not sure I even like the term "pop" music as I would like to think most of my tastes are more exclusive than that. I suppose its no different to when they were trying to ban Elvis Presley records.

I realise there has always been pop music around that Im not going to like. I tell you though that I would prefer the rubbish pop of yesteryear any day of the week.

Oh well I will just have to try and enjoy my period of life when Im shouting up the stairs to turn that awful racket down

You could hear what they were saying in my day (1980s) and sing along
    HMMMM! are you sure?

CONSIDER:

"we're the young generation and we've got something to say" .......... HEY HEY WE'RE THE MONKEYS!

Very meaningful!

OR,

"Got a pound of gelatine!" I'M GONNA MAKE A BIG TRIFLE!

Popular music has always been about money. The so-called charts were always rigged and the industry ran on backhanders and payola. We remember the better tunes of our youth but conveniently forget all the banal crap that formed the majority of the industry, and the manufactured acts that were foisted on us. Have you watched any of the TOTP repeats on BBC Four?

Technology has changed and very good artists no longer need record companies to make a decent living or to be constrained by the album format. I hear great new music every week both live and on streaming services.

Geoff

I'm Adrian.

Popular music has been around for a long time in different guises, and in most cases has been about money. Think about all the classical composers who wrote compositions for various kings, queens, and high society through the years, some of their offerings becoming favourites to many but not necessarily to the masses as today.

Then we move into the 20’s and 30’s with blues, jazz, and various big bands coming along. Music was then popularised by radio and written music. It became more accessible to the masses and became more of an industry. And of course records came along. What was previously popular music before became categorised under the classical umbrella. Oh I forgotten to mention popular folk music which is a subject in itself whichever side of the pond you live.

So music evolved and the 50s/60’s came with pop(ular) music and rock music of various varieties. And the circle turns again and we now talk about classic rock, just what it is I’m not sure. For me pop or popular music is any music which is listened to by many for a period in time, whether it remains popular only time will tell.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    HMMMM! are you sure?

CONSIDER:

"we're the young generation and we've got something to say" .......... HEY HEY WE'RE THE MONKEYS!

Very meaningful!

OR,

Popular music has always been about money. The so-called charts were always rigged and the industry ran on backhanders and payola. We remember the better tunes of our youth but conveniently forget all the banal crap that formed the majority of the industry, and the manufactured acts that were foisted on us. Have you watched any of the TOTP repeats on BBC Four?

Technology has changed and very good artists no longer need record companies to make a decent living or to be constrained by the album format. I hear great new music every week both live and on streaming services.

Geoff
    What's a-madda you, hey! Gadda no respect, hey! Whadda-you think you do, hey! Why you looka so sad!

Oh and no one knows how much gelatine they had - I believe the words were: 'Gunpowder, gelatine'. And it may have been for a nice juicy meat pie rather than a trifle. Lyrics of yesteryear really made you think.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    HMMMM! are you sure?

CONSIDER:

Very meaningful!

OR,

Geoff
    Well, I stand up next to a mountain
    And I chop it down with the edge of my hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    What's a-madda you, hey! Gadda no respect, hey! Whadda-you think you do, hey! Why you looka so sad!

Oh and no one knows how much gelatine they had - I believe the words were: 'Gunpowder, gelatine'. And it may have been for a nice juicy meat pie rather than a trifle. Lyrics of yesteryear really made you think.
    ... and what was it with Sting and Sue Lawley?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast