+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Superclock in SL-1210

I'm Patrick.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!

The phase noise of the reference will be reduced by 20*log N, where N is the integer division rate. If the division ratio is 1000 (servo running at 400 Hz), you have picked up 80 dB of noise reduction. You are now into the noise floor.

5 PPM of short-term drift might be 20 Hz, at 4 MHz. But it is now 0.002 Hz, at 400 Hz. Do you think you will hear that much speed variation?

I'm Simon.

I guess it depends on the pattern of error, entirely random error at such a low level is going to be inaudible but if you up the level a little and find out the error is modulated by something else on the board then it'll become audible much sooner than one might expect.

I know having worked through the circuit on my Hercules board that I'm better spending my time working the power supply for the transistors that drive the two sine waves than I am wasting money on better XO or power supplies for the XO.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

MartinT Guest

We know from CD player upgrades that clock stability is critical to good sound. My old Sony SCD-1 flagship SACD player had battleship construction, quality PCBs and compartmentalised shielding. However, a Superclock 2 from Audiocom certainly made a considerable difference in both CD and SACD replay.

The jitter reductions may be small but they are audible. I know that the above is clocking data and for the Techie we are talking about rotational noise. I'm not saying I know there will be an improvement: I'm saying I want to try it.

I'm Pete.

Martin,

Many upgrades accepted today, were ridiculed at the time as not possibly being capable of making a difference. I say go for it! It couldn't hurt to try and see what happens.
    Hearing is believing

SL-1210 Mk5 w/Mike New Platter/bearing/armboard; Hynes SR5 DIY PSU;
    Zyx Airy3X; SME V; Hashimoto HM7 SUT; CJ PR15MkII Phono w/teflon caps.

Modwright LS36.5 Dual Mono Preamp & KWA 150 amp > Paradigm Ref 100 v.4s

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    We know from CD player upgrades that clock stability is critical to good sound. My old Sony SCD-1 flagship SACD player had battleship construction, quality PCBs and compartmentalised shielding. However, a Superclock 2 from Audiocom certainly made a considerable difference in both CD and SACD replay.

The jitter reductions may be small but they are audible. I know that the above is clocking data and for the Techie we are talking about rotational noise. I'm not saying I know there will be an improvement: I'm saying I want to try it.
    You can not equate the amount of jitter, in your CDP, to the amount of jitter one will have, after it is run through a divider chain.

1.) You are not going to find a crystal at that frequency.

2.) You will not be able to measure any change in jitter/phase noise. Not only because you do not have the gear (it costs many thousands of dollars), but because it is going to be in the noise level.

3.) Your money..........and what do I know............enjoy!

Over and out.

I'm Paul.

I seem to recall someone telling me that regulators that were designed to operate up to 100 MHz for digital circuitry were a waste of time as at these frequencies the type and position of capacitors in the circuit power lines were the important issue. The capacitors are important but so is the regulator. I have sold thousands of these regulators, so far, with a 56 day return if not satisfied guarantee. I think people are pleased with the improvements these regulators have made, as they are not being returned. If they were making no improvements I would have a very large box full of rejects by now.

Several of my friends over the years have shown the ability to discern perfect pitch just by listening to a note. They could tell if the note was off pitch by small amounts. In the past our survival in the wild was based on a keen sense of sight and hearing. Being able to judge distance and direction accurately could mean the difference between life, or death, at the hands of a predator. The human brain is a very complex organ that is capable of processing sensory input in a way that focuses on important data and ignores unimportant data. Many have reported hearing signal events buried in the noise floor.

There are plenty of examples of audio equipment with exemplary measurements that do not convey music in a comprehensible way. On balance I will take what I hear over measurements every time.

Regards
    Paul
    Paul Hynes Design
    paulhynesdesign.com
    High Performance Power Supply upgrades
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16655

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hynes View Post
    On balance I will take what I hear over measurements every time.
    Indeed, Paul, and yet you are an engineer. As I have said to many others over the years, there is no conflict of interest!

I'm Paul.

There should not be a conflict of interest but I think you will be saying this to many more over the coming years.
    Paul Hynes Design
    paulhynesdesign.com
    High Performance Power Supply upgrades
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16655

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up Paul tells it exactly as it is.......

I seem to recall someone telling me that regulators that were designed to operate up to 100 MHz for digital circuitry were a waste of time as at these frequencies the type and position of capacitors in the circuit power lines were the important issue. The capacitors are important but so is the regulator. I have sold thousands of these regulators, so far, with a 56 day return if not satisfied guarantee. I think people are pleased with the improvements these regulators have made, as they are not being returned. If they were making no improvements I would have a very large box full of rejects by now.

Several of my friends over the years have shown the ability to discern perfect pitch just by listening to a note. They could tell if the note was off pitch by small amounts. In the past our survival in the wild was based on a keen sense of sight and hearing. Being able to judge distance and direction accurately could mean the difference between life, or death, at the hands of a predator. The human brain is a very complex organ that is capable of processing sensory input in a way that focuses on important data and ignores unimportant data. Many have reported hearing signal events buried in the noise floor.

There are plenty of examples of audio equipment with exemplary measurements that do not convey music in a comprehensible way. On balance I will take what I hear over measurements every time.
    Bloody hell - what an amazing post!!!

I concur completely

It's going right into Our Ethos for permanent reference!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Patrick.

I seem to recall someone telling me that regulators that were designed to operate up to 100 MHz for digital circuitry were a waste of time as at these frequencies the type and position of capacitors in the circuit power lines were the important issue.
    They did? Don't they realize regulators don't work at 100MHz? Yeah, that is why the caps are needed. But regulators regulate, and caps bypass. Both are important, but have much different jobs.

I bet they also think all caps are the same, because it is 100 MHz. Or any other frequency, as well. Oh, well........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast