+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lockwoods in da house! - advice please

I'm John.

Default Lockwoods in da house! - advice please

Hello all,

promised myself I wouldn't look at old hifi again (because I end up spending ages messing with it), but saw these old gals for sale and curiosity got the better of me

IMG_1600.jpgIMG_1602.jpgIMG_1625.jpgIMG_1618.jpg

Was chuffed when I saw the drivers! Spotless with sequential serial numbers.

Cabs are rough, walnut (I think, maybe teak) formica veneer painted black with a floor brush and in a bad state externally but really clean inside and working a treat.

They are a sealed enclosure and work surprisingly well in my small room, look huge though! Makes you look like you're really serious about your hifi though

I have never owned or even heard big Tannoys and know nothing about them except what I've read on the net over the past few days but I can see why people say there's no going back, they are effortless, realistic and very revealing (in a nice way).

Problem is the dreaded system synergy is now a bit askew and these are crying out for a nice valve amp! D'oh It's a slippery slope!

Could I ask your advice on what to do to ensure these go on for many a year to come?

The foams have almost what look like straight cuts running from the cone straight to the frame, is this normal? Any I've seen pictures of are either completely wrecked or re-foamed. Do these look like the original foams or a dodgy re-foam at some stage? Do I need to re-foam or even re-cone? Crossovers?

As far as the cabinets go, I think I'll strip the formica off, re-veneer in real oak or something fancier (there's a lot to cover mind, won't be cheap), replace the input connector with some 4mm terminals, replace the grill cloth and get some open stands made. Nice project for this year.

Here's a link to the sales brochure, although it quotes DC386 drivers. Had to laugh, they call these their SMALLER monitors, serious company.

http://www.lockwoodaudio.co.uk/images/lockwood2_lrg.jpg

I know there's a lot of people very experienced with this stuff on here, would appreciate your advice, thanks, John.

P.S. What are these worth roughly?

I'm Geoff.

Nice find, but the cone surrounds are knackered. I have seen them split like that before. If it was me, I'd fit new surrounds myself, but most opt for a recone 'cos it's easier (but seven times the price).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Nice find, but the cone surrounds are knackered. I have seen them split like that before. If it was me, I'd fit new surrounds myself, but most opt for a recone 'cos it's easier (but seven times the price).
    Thanks, I believe there's a video or two on you tube showing how to do the re-foam but is it reasonable to do or a complete nightmare?

I'm a bit wary of make it look easy videos

Here's a few more photos:

IMG_1616.jpgIMG_1619.jpgIMG_1629.jpgIMG_1624.jpgIMG_1615.jpg

I'm Geoff.

Have a look through my old thread. You'll see how it's done (or how I did it anyway ).

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...age%29+tannoys
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gone.

Hi John,

Welcome to the Lockwood Academy owners club Mine are fitted with Monitor Golds and I love them. Notwithstanding what Geoff (Walpurgis) says, I would talk to Nick at Lockwood about getting the cones sorted. Also, I have just finished a refurb where I fitted the "Mainly Tannoy" X-Over and a new Bi - wireable terminal plate using gold plated coper terminals. Speedy steve of this parish (Magna Audio) made the for me and the whole lot made a significant improvement to the sound. These are great speakers, I've had mine about 12 years now and I would not part from them.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Have a look through my old thread. You'll see how it's done (or how I did it anyway ).

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...age%29+tannoys
    Wonderful, exactly what I needed, off to Tannoy for a re-cone it is - no way my nerves would hold out for that.

Great job by the way, nice to see skills in action.

Just listening to "At The Club" by Ray Charles, WOW! These are keepers.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStewart View Post
    Hi John,

Welcome to the Lockwood Academy owners club Mine are fitted with Monitor Golds and I love them. Notwithstanding what Geoff (Walpurgis) says, I would talk to Nick at Lockwood about getting the cones sorted. Also, I have just finished a refurb where I fitted the "Mainly Tannoy" X-Over and a new Bi - wireable terminal plate using gold plated coper terminals. Speedy steve of this parish (Magna Audio) made the for me and the whole lot made a significant improvement to the sound. These are great speakers, I've had mine about 12 years now and I would not part from them.
    Thanks Paul, more food for thought. Will see if I can dig something up on the "Mainly Tannoy" crossovers.

I'm John.

Lots of nice stuff on the Magna Audio web-site

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi John,

Nice find. Welcome to the world of speakers that let you hear what bass there is on recordings properly!

As you're also finding, the level of musical insight big Tannoys can offer, and how they can 'unlock' the most complex of recordings, allowing the listener to hear right into the mix, is virtually unequalled.

Enjoy - and I'll follow your continued journey with interest

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nial.

I'd try restoring the formica - there are those with experience who say sound is detrimentally affected by its removal from Lockwoods. And it's the original finish. I think vintage kit should be kept as original as possible - too much around has been mucked about with.

I'd also advise sourcing original Tannoy surrounds and having a go yourself* - if you do a nice job you have taught yourself a handy and useful skill which puts a lot of second hand speakers in the "possible" list, and if you do a less than nice job, re-coning is still there as an option. Usually surrounds are comparatively inexpensive, so you wouldn't be down very much.

Good luck!

*If it's not too late.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast