+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opera and Operatic singing style

I'm Rob.

Glad I am not the only one. How many do you have to sell these days to get a Number 1. 25 or less
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Richard.

peasants

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    peasants
    Absolutely, last one I had was like Coq au Vin with lots of added Cognac to tenderise it. Delicious with new spuds and some nice fresh greens from the garden. Its a great life out here.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
    If people enjoy Opera, I'm happy for them. Whatever floats your boat. Mind you, I don't listen to classical either, although I did try many years ago.
    I probably listen to classical music about 75% of the time. More correct to say I listen to Baroque really - Bach, Vivaldi, Paganini etc. Even so, I find little to get exited about with Opera. I find its a bit like watching actors overact whilst trying to sing at the same time. Just not my scene. Maybe we all need a Richard Gere character to waft us away in a jet and give us a masterclass in understanding musical over emoting

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    Absolutely, last one I had was like Coq au Vin with lots of added Cognac to tenderise it. Delicious with new spuds and some nice fresh greens from the garden. Its a great life out here.
    We haven't planned our route home yet. Mrs S is practicing aria's acapella to treat you should we drop in. Failing that I can accompany her on guitar doing "I dreamed a dream" in a key where she can water your eyes. Then you can tell her about your cooking ... My reckoning is , you'll end up wearing it. These sopranos are taught to fight mean

I'm Richard.

I probably listen to classical music about 75% of the time. More correct to say I listen to Baroque really - Bach, Vivaldi, Paganini etc. Even so, I find little to get exited about with Opera. I find its a bit like watching actors overact whilst trying to sing at the same time. Just not my scene. Maybe we all need a Richard Gere character to waft us away in a jet and give us a masterclass in understanding musical over emoting
    It's the old acquired taste thing. I can remember my dad, while discussing whisky, saying "why would I want to acquire a taste for a drink that tastes like vitriol"? At the time he took me to an Italian restaurant where he always ordered his favourite wine - "Sleeping Beauty" - a liebfraumilch. A good one, but a liebraumich for all that. This was with steak.

These days my Dad travels the Rhone valley visiting producers he was introduced to by my french-ex's father, to lay down. I still rib him when he blows the dust off a Morgon from his collection about acquired tastes and liebfraumilch.

Opera is pure theatre. In the way all theatre is - it is larger than life - its' not that dreary product it shares a name with - soap opera. It is spectacular, fun, sad, but always hammed up big.

It also involves playing classical music with one of the most exceptional instruments - the human voice. Of course the barriers are,

you don't like classical music
    you don't know the plot
    and you can't understand the words.

But you can read up the libretto's, opera is performed in English language (I happen to prefer it in its native language, but). Try Carmen in English to get you started - you probably know half the tunes anyway. I watched a performance with horses once - over the top Opera theatre at its best.

And Les Mis is an operatic piece of theatre, which all our kids are watching the 3rd repeat of. Careful or I'll post the missus singing on here

I'm Keith.

I hate all singing in classical music . I love Vaughan Williams, but I can't abide 'Sea Symphony' because of the singing. It seems a shame - some great music I can't stand to listen to because singing ruins it.

It's probably the same with opera - I suspect I'm missing some good tunes. What we need are some recordings of opera arias with some proper singers - "Leonard Cohen sings Verdi" or suchlike.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    I hate all singing in classical music .
    That's exactly how I feel about it Keith

(Eek - 14k posts!)

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post

(Eek - 14k posts!)
    Wow, I was quite impressed with managing 350

I'm Richard.