+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2018

I'm Paul.

Thanks, mate.

Didn't even know that was a thing, to be honest.

Must have been a "Me too" moment for all the women in attendance ..
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    Thanks, mate.

Didn't even know that was a thing, to be honest.

Must have been a "Me too" moment for all the women in attendance ..

GWG definition: 'technically and musically undemanding genre popular at hifi shows'. See also 'plinky plonk jazz'.

I'm Justin.

The TEAC system Tom was on about...

I've no comments on it as I just took the snaps whilst nothing was playing at a significant enough volume to pass any judgement when I was in there. Always nice to see an R2R deck around, though.

I'm Justin.

After walking around a few rooms I was starting to worry a bit as I hadn't heard any treble in a lot of the rooms. Had it gone out of fashion? Was warm, less detailed sound the new treble? Maybe. Just maybe. Until the antidote appeared in the form of the Cary room. At last, some HF!. Passé, obviously, old school even, but nonetheless resurrected here.

Fortunately the presence of HF was also discovered in other rooms later on Another show observer noted that it was because I was deaf, and that only one of the two coffees he'd tried from the source I had recommended actually tasted like coffee.

Mind you, he actually owns some of those coloured AN E things

I'm Brian.

Cracking photos and some beautiful kit Justin . I'm really enjoying this thread , thank you sir
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    The TEAC system Tom was on about...

I've no comments on it as I just took the snaps whilst nothing was playing at a significant enough volume to pass any judgement when I was in there. Always nice to see an R2R deck around, though.

Justin,
    Glad to hear that you liked the R2R, even if the music may not have been to your taste. The TEAC A330SX is in fact a pretty standard consumer R2R machine - nothing fancy at all. If you thought that was good, then you'd love a proper studio machine
    Charlie
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Geoff.

I find the businesslike looks of the Cary KT150 integrated amp rather appealing. No frippery or frills and it's in black. I don't do silver. The radial arrangement of components on the top plate is interestingly unusual. Bet it sounds decent too.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Nah, it was about right when I was in there - pretty loud.

I think there's something good about this slate veneered blue coned AN E variant. It stiffens up the cabinet a bit I think.

This room was doing the Audio Note thing well this year. It presented tonality and sense of acoustic space in a way nothing else in the show got close to. But there's a price to pay with it, in that you become aware that it is coloured really quite quickly. And quite heavily so. If you don't give a damn about this, it is a real winner. If you do, it isn't. You just have to make a choice, I guess. Lots of people love it but ultimately I just couldn't live with it. What it does really well with is the sort of music I just don't really listen to.
    You pretty much nail it there. Audionote should use that in their brochures
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I find the businesslike looks of the Cary KT150 integrated amp rather appealing. No frippery or frills and it's in black. I don't do silver. The radial arrangement of components on the top plate is interestingly unusual. Bet it sounds decent too.
    My fave Cary of all time is the red topped Cary SLP98 preamp. Think red lipsticked tart in black suspenders. Who cares what it actually sounds like?

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You pretty much nail it there. Audionote should use that in their brochures
    I'm betting your no salesman, Martin The truth in advertising blurb? Nope, no way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast