+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Glue For Smoothing Down 5mm Of Corner Veneer?

I'm Duncan.

I have some Oak veneer going buckshee.

4 x 1000mm x 400mm couple of splits
    4 x 810mm x 400mm good
    2 x 810mm x 285mm couple of splits
    2 x 390mm x 285mm ish

I bought this for a loudspeaker project that I didn't finish.

Last edited by tubehunter; 22-05-2018 at 09:33.

I'm Steve.

I'll weigh in here.
    Doing real wood veneering using proper cold press PVA glue and a vacuum press is one thing..
    I do it from time to time. The bond is better than the wood grain itself..

If it's iron on vinyl (agree with the above, that it sounds like it is if it bends), then the glue used won't have been PVA.
    PVA won't stick to plastics or other hard glues very well at all.
    It works by seeping deep into the wood fibres like roots, and that needs to be on both surfaces, i.e. wood to wood.

If it's vinyl or wood veneer that's glue backed, then an epoxy or even super glue (a slow setting one) would be better.

If it's wood to wood then Yes to PVA. Not one of your School's paper & general purpose ones etc PVA but a proper woodworking PVA - Titebond for example.

Yes press it down with a flat block and clamp / weight. I use a sheet of Grease proof paper or better still Baking parchment under the block to prevent the block getting stuck.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Thanks everyone. Ah yes I will get my old 9 mp camera on macro mode. Give me some time as Ive been out in the sun today and have a headache from the beer

A moment of pure carelessness and bye bye sharp veneered corner

I have just taken some shots and an uploading them to imgur at the moment...links to follow

https://imgur.com/EHU0Q5k

https://imgur.com/hcXrwVn

https://imgur.com/sP6jqH4

https://imgur.com/vhwtYXG

https://imgur.com/f7y0rSt

https://imgur.com/8JxzUOb

Pick a picture and the ones without the flash make it look less dramatic. Its not too bad and Ive probably lifted some of the mdf with the veneer. I should not have peeled the veneer back as it had only slammed about 1mm of the top veneer corner down...Ive given myself extra work to do now and I know that.

The cabinet isnt out of alignment there..for some reason there is shaved out area on both units giving a lip on the back corner join. The veneer is not peeling down the side edge and that just seems to be the flash.

I can see getting under there with a needle to smooth surfaces and spread glue. It could be one of those things that never looks right again but I will give it a damn good go and take my time

The filler can be painted with black acrylic at the back. Im a bit sick of black ash but I will eventually get a pair veneered in oak or something similar
    looking at pics it seems it is the chipboard base that has given in and come away with the outer skin, which may well be vinyl. a little gentle removal of some of the fibres so it will go back down flush, and still have enough room for the glue will sort it.. you could always stain the glue before adding. think if both sides of damage is wood the some pva will sort it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Hi,

My instinct would be to try to get between the veneer and board with a scalpel blade to remove a little of the board before putting in the glue, just thinking that the veneer my sit a little "proud" if space isn't made for the fresh glue. PVA would be my choice, and clamp overnight.
    Finish off with a Liberon wax filler stick - range of colours available and did a good job filling in the lid marks on my LP12 plinth.
    Yes I shouldnt have peeled it back and I will have to get a tiny amount of material out with something like a scalpel or needles.

I shouldnt have lifted what was stuck down as they dont sit back correctly without preparation. Once the surfaces have been parted they wont necessarily sit back smoothly. At the moment it wont smooth correctly with a block or hand pressure

Ooze out wont be a problem as I will mask the back area and the back suround is the chipboard which can be lightly sanded with a sanding stick and touched up in black.

I appreciate your input but everyone mentions pva as if I can clamp that. I cant see any way of clamping it but I may try pva and that doesnt work I can spend time preparing it again for a different glue. Then again this is a thick vinyl and small area so a heavy duty tacky fast drying glue is seems way more suitable

Its not the end of the world but I have been quoted £500 for an oak or teak re-veneer which is too pricey. Maybe its time to learn about veneering and start a proper project

Cheers
    Martin
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 22-05-2018 at 14:14.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by tubehunter View Post

4 x 810mm x 400mm good
    2 x 390mm x 285mm ish

Thanks thats very tempting and just the sort of veneer I was thinking about. Ive seen packages of veneer on ebay. Im not ready at the moment. Let me see about tarting up this damage and then I might buy another couple of tatty cabinets and start a veneering project.

I put my mistakes right and if that takes a whole new veneering project then so be it...its only money

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    If I'm not very much mistaken, that isn't veneer at all - it's a vinyl wrap. Wooden veneer won't "peel back", it will just snap off.

PVA wood glue is extremely strong, so there's no need to worry about that. It has the advantage of being water soluble so it's easy to wipe off any ooze-out. PVA would be my choice.
    Yes as its quite tough thick and hasnt snapped. Its a thick wrap but as you say it will be a vinyl wrap.

It seems a good quality wrap but probably no different to the wrap you see on Diamonds or any speaker of that time. Ive seen cheaper wraps in my time looking like Blue peter sticky backed plastic

With my own delusion I like to think he has put proper ash on there and painted it black

Oh the shame of having to admit to chipboard and vinyl wrap
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 22-05-2018 at 14:15.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Magna Audio View Post
    I'll weigh in here.
    Doing real wood veneering using proper cold press PVA glue and a vacuum press is one thing..
    I do it from time to time. The bond is better than the wood grain itself..

If it's iron on vinyl (agree with the above, that it sounds like it is if it bends), then the glue used won't have been PVA.
    PVA won't stick to plastics or other hard glues very well at all.
    It works by seeping deep into the wood fibres like roots, and that needs to be on both surfaces, i.e. wood to wood.

If it's vinyl or wood veneer that's glue backed, then an epoxy or even super glue (a slow setting one) would be better.

If it's wood to wood then Yes to PVA. Not one of your School's paper & general purpose ones etc PVA but a proper woodworking PVA - Titebond for example.

Yes press it down with a flat block and clamp / weight. I use a sheet of Grease proof paper or better still Baking parchment under the block to prevent the block getting stuck.
    Yes I do think it will take an araldite type mix based on that I cant clamp it and pva may not be ideal in this instance.

I welcome everybodys input and dont think Im wrong in what this may need. Its a small area and Im not really getting a wood to wood bond. Im going to be left with the vinyl backing with a fine layer of disturbed chipboard to bond it to.

Its just not a big enough area to let pva soak in and clamp. Ive used pva on wood frames I made but backed up with pin tacking. At the moment I just have a craft and schools type pva nd I have no confidence in that stuff.

Ive seen titebond and I think it will take some seriously good glue.

Pva will not have been used on this vinyl...it was probably some iron on veneer glue.

I dont have enough experience with pva to be confident in its different forms. I know what araldite and epoxy does and that would seem more suitable here as a fast drying option while I hold it. There seems no problem with ooze out if I have masked and wipe off excess quickly. there is only going to be a very small amount of glue spread under there

I have the time but of course trial and error can be very limited when dealing with glues and surfaces
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 22-05-2018 at 14:16.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by tubehunter View Post

4 x 810mm x 400mm good
    2 x 390mm x 285mm ish

that will still do a nice set of standmounts duncan. worth keeping. not fit for it now or would be after it myself
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dennis.

OK, now we have more info this is my strategy.

PVA eliminated, it will not glue vinyl.

Araldite is good, can be used as a bulk filling glue, (where superglue cannot).

Soak the underlying wood in the araladite mix, compress the veneer into position, holding it with a piece of wood, and yes, a hairdryer can also speed up this glue setting time considerably, I have done it often.

It is also worth remembering that araldite is soluble in Meths, and so a meths soaked rag can be used to dissolve off excess.

Do not overdo the heat, the vinyl may melt.

I'm Martin.

I am... you are right. I find this theraputic as I hate damaging anything. Its a fairly simple job and Im just pontificating. Before I peeled some back it was barely noticeable and would have been a two minute job to fill under 1mm of bent down veneer.

That would make sense so if the board has been pre veneered he drills the speaker holes in pre veneered board. That would make the cabinets easier to build and finish off. I might build some cabinets one day.

I will get on with it and let you all know how I managed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast