+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 122 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Gromit's music centre...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I'll look forward to reading your thoughts, Richard

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hey Richard, how are you getting on with the old 'fruit box'? Are you selling your 1210, then?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hey Richard, how are you getting on with the old 'fruit box'? Are you selling your 1210, then?

Marco.
    Ye Olde Fruite Boxe is sounding very good indeed - I tried to fit the 103 into the Akito yesterday but it's too wide for the headhsell. Trouble is I don't like the MC15 in the PL71 - it's a bit too bright & breezy (although admittedly a very fast and entertaining old thing) to be honest. Not had much chance to do a proper lengthy comparison yet but hopefully will get a chance this week some time.

The Beresford's working well though and doing the business very nicely...

Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I tried to fit the 103 into the Akito yesterday but it's too wide for the headhsell
    It'll go in with some 'gentle persuasion' - I've done it before, but we're talking a less than ideal installation with the cartridge wires all squashed up to buggery!

I wouldn't bother though because the DL-103 will not work properly on an Akito - a) it doesn't have enough mass either in the armtube or the headshell (and adding weight to the headshell with coins, Blu-Tac, or whatever, only works to an extent but is by no means a panacea) and b) there is an upper-mid resonance peak on Linn arms (the Akito is no exception) which exacerbates the 103's already prominent midrange emphasis and slight graininess, making for a rather 'brightly-lit', in-your-face, presentation which is fatiguing in the extreme.

Of course the extent of this effect will vary from system to system but rest assured you're not missing much! The 103 is a far better match for the arm and headshell on your Pioneer, where it should perform extremely well.

I noticed that you mentioned over on pfm about the speed stability issues and 'wavering' on the likes of solo piano I hear all too easily with the LP12 and other similar low-mass belt-drive T/Ts, and which now my ears are attuned to the effect, I find extremely irritating. From my point of view, this alone would be sufficient reason never again to go down the low-mass BD route, regardless of any other 'charm' LP12s and such like may possess.

Marco.
    Main System

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Akito? YUCH!!!!!!!

Sincere apologies folks...

Hey Gromit, when you have spare funds, why not try the Jelco like the one Marco is using. I reckon it would fit a Linn arm hole unless it's Rega length of course.. I still think the 103 bass weight would upset the LP12 though. An At33PTG would be much better as long as you have a decent external play-weight gauge...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Buffet-blower.

Hi Dave - the LP12's not mine so I can't really go around fitting new arms to it unfortunately.

Still, as it stands it does give me a good idea about where it stands sonically vs the PL71 - the fundamental character of the turntable still comes through. In fact I've spent a couple of hours this morning flitting between the two of them. I should (try to!) qualify my findings a bit first...

The LP12 was serviced approx 18 months ago by a Linn dealer (who gave it a 100% clean bill of health) and has had light use throughout its life. That's to ward off the 'well it didn't sound as good as it should because it needs a service' crew

The Akito, love it or hate it (I don't mind it but appreciate there's better) is an arm designed to be used on the Sondek so should work. Both TT's are used on my Audiotech table.

So far...I've been putting the MC15 into the PL71 to keep the playing field as level as possible. I don't like it in the Pioneer but felt it only fair to do so for reasons of comparison-making...

The Linn vs the Pioneer: The PL71 is slightly softer but actually hits a good deal harder than the LP12, it's also more extended with less glare at the top end. It sounds hugely wider in soundstage terms aswell and drags more detail out of the grooves at the extremes of left & right. The PL71's bass is in another league - it's faster, gutsier, more focussed, with more fundamental pitch coherence and less bloom.

Downsides to the Pioneer are that it's possibly less clear through the midrange, slightly mushy perhaps, where the Linn has more cut to its sound. To counter this the PL71 has much better decay and resonance behaviour, especially on sustained piano chords which ring on for longer and with more definite feeling of space.

The biggest surprise (and this is where I thought the Linn would win out) is that the Pioneer simply has more groove, being funkier and more 'on it'. Listening to some Bob Florence Big Band lp's this morning the Linn didn't seem to want to play ball, comparatively, where the Pioneer just lets rip with the full force of a great big band in full flow. Put the 103 back in to the Pioneer and the gap just widens further. The Linn also didn't encourage me to turn the wick up as it tends to 'shout' when the going gets heavy - the Pioneer seems to deal with musical climaxes (and heavily scored music) without getting flustered and just seems to have more headroom.

So there you have it....in my opinion of course.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    The biggest surprise (and this is where I thought the Linn would win out) is that the Pioneer simply has more groove, being funkier and more 'on it'. .... The Linn also didn't encourage me to turn the wick up as it tends to 'shout' when the going gets heavy - the Pioneer seems to deal with musical climaxes (and heavily scored music) without getting flustered and just seems to have more headroom.
    I think you have the Direct Drive/ Rubber Drive thing in a nutshell.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.