+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mythbusters does Hi-Fi.

I'm Christopher.

I am a mere 'consumer', so I won't be attempting to 'follow'. I will never have the breadth or depth of knowledge, or practical experience required to comment authoritatively about the technical merits of a component, so I will leave that to 'the experts'. True, some designers / manufacturers may impress me more than others when communicating their philosophy, but that's as deep as I go. Going by some of the stuff I have read online, applying just a little knowledge to some people is akin to 'activating an idiot'. I don't want to fall into that trap myself and I would rather we didn't create any more of them.

My 'skill' in this area is knowing whether something sounds 'right' to me, and only, of course, compared to what I have heard before. Hearing as many different bits of gear as possible is therefore my aim. In addition to perceived sound quality, the other issue I care passionately about is value for money. Does component quality and sound quality justify the price being charged? 'Mythbusting', for me, is about debunking the marketing BS and rip-off pricing that afflicts so much of the hifi market. I welcome anyone who can help with that...

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by PalsHuffMor View Post
    I am a mere 'consumer', so I won't be attempting to 'follow'. I will never have the breadth or depth of knowledge, or practical experience required to comment authoritatively about the technical merits of a component, so I will leave that to 'the experts'. True, some designers / manufacturers may impress me more than others when communicating their philosophy, but that's as deep as I go. Going by some of the stuff I have read online, applying just a little knowledge to some people is akin to 'activating an idiot'. I don't want to fall into that trap myself and I would rather we didn't create any more of them.

My 'skill' in this area is knowing whether something sounds 'right' to me, and only, of course, compared to what I have heard before. Hearing as many different bits of gear as possible is therefore my aim. In addition to perceived sound quality, the other issue I care passionately about is value for money. Does component quality and sound quality justify the price being charged? 'Mythbusting', for me, is about debunking the marketing BS and rip-off pricing that afflicts so much of the hifi market. I welcome anyone who can help with that...
    Oh I'm sure there will be plenty to say about that!
    Barry

montesquieu Guest

Good stuff Jez. Will there be a test at the end?

I'm Peter.

And an NVQ in Foo-bashing?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by PalsHuffMor View Post
    I am a mere 'consumer', so I won't be attempting to 'follow'. I will never have the breadth or depth of knowledge, or practical experience required to comment authoritatively about the technical merits of a component, so I will leave that to 'the experts'....
    Neither will I but it doesn't mean I don't want to learn. The saying 'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing' is only applicable if you are going to jump in feet first and do something practical. Having a basic grasp of how something works is desirable, not something to be avoided.. I have never understood why people want to walk around with blinkers on. If you want to understand what is bullshit in hi-fi - and yes there is a lot of it - how can you do that if you don't have a scooby how it really works?

To paraphrase something I read on another forum, 'People either assume hi-fi electronics is much more complex than it really is, or assume it is much simpler than it really is, and that is the problem.'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If you want to understand what is bullshit in hi-fi - and yes there is a lot of it - how can you do that if you don't have a scooby how it really works?
    By using your ears and experimenting with all manner of different equipment and ancillaries over the years, in different contexts, trying different things often dismissed as "foo", to ascertain whether they work or not, and learning from your mistakes, thus amassing sufficient experience, enabling you to 'sort out the wheat from the chaff', or rather determine what's "bullshit" or not...

That seems to have worked rather well for me!

Seriously though, I totally *get* where you're coming from and agree, but the problem is you can't MAKE yourself become interested in something that bores you to tears... I've tried getting into the technical side of hi-fi, and whilst some of the basic stuff has stuck, most of it is too much hard work to fathom. Quite simply, my brain doesn't really work that way.

That's why I leave most of the 'techy stuff' to the experts whom I trust to make my equipment, and simply concentrate on enjoying the fruits of their labours, and most importantly, the effect it has on my appreciation of recorded music. However, that doesn't mean I can't sometimes question their decisions or have some input in what they do.

At the end of the day though, we're all different people, with different talents and skill sets, and none of us in this hobby are required to be technically knowledgeable in order to have a valid opinion or be considered as 'worth listening to', especially when discussion topics are of a subjective nature. Most importantly, no-one should feel 'inadequate' simply because they don't know one end of an oscilloscope from another.

The reality is that ALL of us here has something to offer, based on what we've learned from the practical experience we've gained over the many years we've been into this hobby - and in the process may have learned things that some experts haven't!

In short, we can ALL learn from each other, by sharing our experiences, whether we're technically minded or not.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    By using your ears and experimenting with all manner of different equipment and ancillaries over the years, in different contexts, trying different things often dismissed as "foo", to ascertain whether they work or not, and learning from your mistakes, thus amassing sufficient experience, enabling you to 'sort out the wheat from the chaff', or rather determine what's "bullshit" or not...

Aye, but that can also become just wandering round in a maze, covering the same ground over and over again, and spending a lot of money in the process, without actually getting where you want to be. Agree that as a layman the best thing to do is listen to a lot of different approaches/kit, you can't replicate that sort of experience with book-learning.

For me, at least, it helps with that process if you have at least some grasp as to why amplifier A sounds rubbish in your system and amplifier B doesn't, whereas in a different set-up it is the exact reverse. How many times have you read 'Don't buy that amp, I had one and it is rubbish' only for the next post to be ' I have that amp and it is fantastic, buy one now.'?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Aye, but that can also become just wandering round in a maze, covering the same ground over and over again, and spending a lot of money in the process, without actually getting where you want to be. Agree that as a layman the best thing to do is listen to a lot of different approaches/kit, you can't replicate that sort of experience with book-learning.
    Precisely. Book learning isn't the be-all-and-end-all, especially when you don't build equipment, and therefore require no formal training. That, however, doesn't preclude you from having a valid opinion on hi-fi.

You have to remember that not all of us learn from self-directed study. It simply depends on how your brain works, therefore you choose a learning methodology based on how new information 'sinks in' most effectively for YOU!

After all, we're not all 'geeks'...

In terms of the first bit you've written above, you're absolutely right, and unfortunately hi-fi forums are littered with folk who come into that category, but it's also possible to adopt the learning method I've suggested, and if you have good ears and judgement, succeed more than you fail

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dennis.

Surely the whole point of formal study is to gain the knowledge and insights that have been established over years of human endeavour, and to benefit from that gained knowledge and experience.

This we hope, is 'objective knowledge'.

Our own everyday experiences are valid, but interpreting what is going on, and causes of phenomena are really quite difficult, and I cannot embrace a subjective stance in isolation, rather I superimpose it on my 'objective knowledge' and try to evaluate my experiences.

We may think of food as a purely subjective choice, but actually our preferences are often formed by our early experiences and formation, which are 'culturally' subject to a narrow range of exposure. I was seduced by my Great Aunts into sucking American gums in my early years, my being taught that they were a luxury. In fact they gave me cavities, and later acquisition of objective knowledge showed that sucrose directly causes cavities because of one particular high energy bond which it contains. I have not eaten 'popuist' sweets since '75.

I accept that gaining objective knowledge is, or can be hard, but it is worth the effort both for practical purposes, and because it enhances the mental facilities; most such challenges do.

If you want evidence of just how far from real understanding a purely subjective anecdotal life can be, and how it can lead us into a fantasy world, look at TV advertisements, and the inferred, if not stated 'realities' that they portray.

I'm Christopher.

The saying 'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing' is only applicable if you are going to jump in feet first and do something practical. '
    ...or if you are going to jump in keyboard first and tell people what kit is 'right' and what is 'wrong'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast