+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: AOS-recommended SPPV products - just an idea for a sticky?

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post
    isn't there a *bollocks" smiley @ AoS ?
    A scary prospect! I did get "testify" in though

I'm Grant.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Why not change it to "worthy of consideration"? Better still, scrap the whole idea. The amount of negative vibes expressed by some folks is astonishing.
    Stan, trust me if I keep getting negative vibes I'll just stop bothering and the bretheren that post negative shitty little comments can go and amuse themselves behing a wall for five minutes , get my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post
    I come back to the point I tried to make earlier which in essence would be a member updatable list of items with some kind of rating system similar to the voting system, categorized by type, price, etc.. No discussions, etc. only ratings (1-10 stars for instance). Would this be technically possible on this platform ?
    Well lets start giving marks out of ten, remember I said the concept was flexibly organic, I've not had any gradings so I cant really implement something that I don't have!

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I'm guessing you missed out 'open' as in "if you don't open your mouth and suggest something"?

Assuming so, well there is nothing in my system that is widely used by any AoS members and nothing springs to mind that is used by the likely majority of the membership. If you are looking for things that are already regularly recommended on threads then cables from Mark Grant, RFC, Flashback etc. - other than that there are all the Technics mods and Paul's crossover rebuilds etc. - all of which have been mentioned already. I suspect that only a small percentage of the AoS membership own any of them though.

Actually, I do use a couple of Flashback cables.
    Mark, yes, IPADitis struck I should have used the word "open". I shall add Flashblack cables, any one in particular, and how much did it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I'll join Stan in "bigging up" up some of my own products for inclusion here specifically on SPPV:

Arkless 640P standard version: You need a donor Cambridge 640P/651P for conversion but I charge only £185 + P&P for conversion and to the best of my knowledge it has no rivals at anywhere near this price. Loads of rave reviews can be found with a quick search and it seemed to be agreed that the Dynavector P75 at about £650 was the cheapest commercially available product to match it. At this point some preferred the Arkless and some the Dynavector.

Arkless Head Amp: Newly available, one good review by Ali Tait so far and awaiting review from the fount master Barry (who has said he's very impressed so far in a PM). The battery only version starts at £150 and will beat sub £1000 SUT's... ow's that for SPPV!?
    Jez. I'll add the 640P but not the head amp. Your 640P is well established and quite sort after, your Head Amp isn't really something that's sold very well. I've requested a demo, remember? Incidently, we are going to "BIG" up products or rely on demo's from loaner units. I want to see products that have stood the test of time and have been discussed on lots of forums.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I was under the impression that the list is based on already established items that have stood the test of time .
    Stan, see my above comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The only Mark Grant product I have heard is his G1000HD cable, so that is the only one I can recommend as having good SPPV. Some of Mark's cables are very expensive, so I will leave it to others to comment if they think they also offer good SPPV.

I can concur NVA Soundcord cables offer good SPPV; I have heard them in my own system. I haven't heard any other NVA cable, so cannot comment.

Would also like Flashback Cables to be added. They are no-nonsense cables, using good quality connectors and made to the customer's requirements for a very reasonable outlay. In general I prefer to make up my own cables, but sometimes for the sake of expediency (especially if I need cables terminated in DIN connectors) I will readily use Flashback.
    Barry, OK, I'll add the G1000HD. Can you stipulate which Flashback cable you've tried and the cost. I'll add that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Could a rating out of ten be useful? Members with experience of specified products could rate them. I don't know if this could easily be implimented though.
    Why not start giving some of the products marks out of 10.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

List updated again.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm rupert.

A scary prospect! I did get "testify" in though
    hmmm, couldn't find the testicule smiley either !!

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post

Well lets start giving marks out of ten, remember I said the concept was flexibly organic, I've not had any gradings so I cant really implement something that I don't have!

I like the organic and flexible part. That could be achieved via some programming. But I guess we don't have the critical mass here to get a sufficient amount of data.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Stan, trust me if I keep getting negative vibes I'll just stop bothering and the bretheren that post negative shitty little comments can go and amuse themselves behing a wall for five minutes , get my drift.

Mark, yes, IPADitis struck I should have used the word "open". I shall add Flashblack cables, any one in particular, and how much did it cost?

Jez. I'll add the 640P but not the head amp. Your 640P is well established and quite sort after, your Head Amp isn't really something that's sold very well. I've requested a demo, remember? Incidently, we are going to "BIG" up products or rely on demo's from loaner units. I want to see products that have stood the test of time and have been discussed on lots of forums.

Stan, see my above comment.

Barry, OK, I'll add the G1000HD. Can you stipulate which Flashback cable you've tried and the cost. I'll add that as well.

Why not start giving some of the products marks out of 10.
    I haven't forgotten you asked for a demo of the head amp no It has been posted on by Barry now and Grant should get it tomorrow. You are next on the list after Grant. It's hardly likely to have sold well when you will be only the fourth person to hear it and it's only been available for a fortnight!
    You'll probably get it before the Hybrid Phono Stage which is also on its way to you of course, if by a tortuous route...

I'm not too sure about the rating out of 10 I guess it has to be combination of outright sound quality and VFM to give an overall figure? But in whose opinion.... Two different people may rate the same unit at 3 and 9 respectively! I guess this is where "established" comes into play, however, certain products are rather niche and so wouldn't be expected to sell as well as other more mainstream products. E.G. streaming is more popular than vinyl and people needing a head amp to use a MC with a MM only phono stage are a smaller subset of that group, hence 10 may be "established" for a head amp but 100+ of a VFM digital product may be sold in an equivalent time.

I'm James.

Dont many of us recommend products already in the various sections?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Andrew.

I haven't forgotten you asked for a demo of the head amp no It has been posted on by Barry now and Grant should get it tomorrow. You are next on the list after Grant. It's hardly likely to have sold well when you will be only the fourth person to hear it and it's only been available for a fortnight!
    You'll probably get it before the Hybrid Phono Stage which is also on its way to you of course, if by a tortuous route...

I'm not too sure about the rating out of 10 I guess it has to be combination of outright sound quality and VFM to give an overall figure? But in whose opinion.... Two different people may rate the same unit at 3 and 9 respectively! I guess this is where "established" comes into play, however, certain products are rather niche and so wouldn't be expected to sell as well as other more mainstream products. E.G. streaming is more popular than vinyl and people needing a head amp to use a MC with a MM only phono stage are a smaller subset of that group, hence 10 may be "established" for a head amp but 100+ of a VFM digital product may be sold in an equivalent time.
    Thanks looking forward to getting the head amp. The "mark out of 10 system" is something that others have suggested and being flexible am happy to integrate into the list. I honestly think that it overly complicates things and think it's a bit pointless as every opinion is different. I prefer the "established" product route, just like your 640P v your head amp.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Dont many of us recommend products already in the various sections?
    YES! This is a condensed resource so you don't have to go trawling around the site. Which bit of Wakey are you from?
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast