Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
...or moreover a convincing and accurate (if not as loud) portrayal of voices and instruments.

The key here is to successfully differentiate between what sounds 'correct', musically, but simply quieter, and similarly 'correct', musically, but simply louder. It's not about bass or treble, or anything like that. However, at least someone *gets* where I'm coming from!!

However, Matt, you make it sound as if such a system is 'unusual' or outside of the norm, hence your "pleasantly surprised" remark. IMO, it shouldn't come as any surprise, if a) the constituent components of a system are of the requisite quality, b) they compliment each other well, and c) the system owner knows what he's doing!

For me, ALL systems should sound good at low volume. If not, something's not right. "Good", however, doesn't necessarily mean 'best'.

Marco.
Sorry Marco, I'm not the best at describing things.

Reading back what I said It does sound like I was talking about just bass and treble but It's not just that. Vocals should project out of the speakers and sound just a lifelike as when the system Is turned up.

With my old Tannoys I was more than happy to listen at low levels, In contrast, my old Linn Kans (don't laugh) were dead or flat at low levels and had to be turned up to enjoy the music. Bass and treble controls would not have helped.