+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 384khz?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Ears are the best tool and the only things that tell you how the sound is. Hi-Fi equipment can measure very well, yet still not sound right.
    Suppose you go to a dealer and dem a system, play all sorts of tracks over an hour or so. You like it, buy it, take it home. After a while you realise you are avoiding playing some albums because they don't sound right. a bit hard, or rough, whatever.

You can't take it back, it isn't faulty, so you start upgrading from there, using the same process. But if you don't upgrade the thing that is causing the issue then you won't solve the problem. But you don't know what is causing the issue, so you go through ten sets of speakers when all along it was the amp.

Ears alone are not enough.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Ears are the best tool and the only things that tell you how the sound is. Hi-Fi equipment can measure very well, yet still not sound right.
    Very true! I have had that scenario myself in the past! Lots of good gear that sounds terrible together!
    John Wood 6L6 Valve Amp, with:

6L6GC Russian Original (no logo) Output Tubes 4x, supplied by J.Wood.
    ECC81 Mullard NOS Input Tubes 2x
    12AU7 (ECC82) Brimar NOS Input Tubes 2x

Wilson Benesch Actor Loudspeakers.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.
    M2Tech Hi-Face 2 RCA USB to S/PDIF (co-axial) converter.

HP Pavilion G6 - 2382sa D0Y14EA#ABU + "The Teddy" 19/3 - 19V 3.5A LPSU.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

Sennheiser HD 558 headset.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Suppose you go to a dealer and dem a system, play all sorts of tracks over an hour or so. You like it, buy it, take it home. After a while you realise you are avoiding playing some albums because they don't sound right. a bit hard, or rough, whatever.

You can't take it back, it isn't faulty, so you start upgrading from there, using the same process. But if you don't upgrade the thing that is causing the issue then you won't solve the problem. But you don't know what is causing the issue, so you go through ten sets of speakers when all along it was the amp.

Ears alone are not enough.
    Yes but, you still use your ears to demo 10 different amps. speakers, dacs, media sources. I doubt if I now have the best system for the money I;ve spent. If i HAD the total amount I spent so far at the start and went to several Hi-Fi shops I pretty certain they would recommend more compatible components than what I have chosen myself, but now I always need to demo first coz the stakes are getting serious! Can't see myself buying a system based upon a mathematical probability score.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

I'm Gary.

What would spectroscopy actually measure, chemical composition?
    Tells you zero about why people would like it.

And like measuring hifi equipment, your measurement analogy wouldnt provide anything near a 'universal' good/bad assessment for everyone, which is the argument hifi measurebators make, but only baseline data relating to how its made up.

And what would that data really tell you about how different people would enjoy it?
    Absolutely nothing.

Wine, like music enjoyment and appreciation is a personal experience based on criteria set by ones own self.
    someone telling you its good because 'X,Y,Z' is completely subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    How might I measure the drink?

Using spectroscopy.

How might I measure your preferences?

Ask you.

With enough sample data and honest enough answers from you I'd probably start to be able to predict which ones you would like from their spectra.

As for the other comments re maths, not understanding something it doesn't make it not true.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

And like measuring hifi equipment, your measurement analogy wouldnt provide anything near a 'universal' good/bad assessment for everyone, which is the argument hifi measurebators make, but only baseline data relating to how its made up.

And what would that data really tell you about how different people would enjoy it?
    Absolutely nothing.

Wine, like music enjoyment and appreciation is a personal experience based on criteria set by ones own self.
    But you don't decide whether you like something. It isn't like, say, choosing between buying a car and leasing one.

I don't see why in principle you could not determine a correlation between an individual person's taste in wine or hi fi and the scientific measurements of such if you had enough data.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Marc.

Yes spectroscopy tells you about the chemical composition. Agreed, I don't think I've made any such claims.

Agreed re 'universality', again I don't think I've made any such claims. I'll take your word for it re 'measurebators' as it's not an area of expertise for me. Maybe you intend it to be an insult? I'm not sure it's actually anything that contributes to the discussion at hand through, as its not something I see myself as nor something I believe you have the right to label me as.

Absolutely nothing.
    Hmm, I'm not sure anyone with experience of mass market research in product development would agree. Correlating real world data with human feedback is the basis of pretty much all modern marketing - if you don't believe me check out 'The Hidden Persuaders' by a chap called Vance Packard, written some time in the mid 50s. The 'why' (as you've observed above) is harder to ascertain, but it's not a problem because I don't really care what the reasons are for anybody else, as long as they're happy with their choices.

Yup, but it doesn't mean that I can't find some features of wine (or music) that I like and use those features to help me find more of the stuff I like, rather than wasting my time at square one every time I'm presented with a choice - subjectivity doesn't compel one to inconsistancy does it?

If, having tried all the wine on the shelf, I decide I like ones that are 'fruity' (according to my own, subjective, opinion of what that means) I'll pick 'fruity' ones, if each time I find one I like for its 'fruityness' (subjectivly assessed) I put in in a spectroscope and realise there is a repeated feature in chemical make up of the ones I like I might assume that that contributed to what I was subjectively assessing to be fruityness? Indeed I could go one further and choose a wine that didn't have that chemical feature to see if it had or lacked the fruityness I sought to help calibrate my understanding. That understanding could help me have more of a good time and less of a bad time, yet you seem to want to argue that that is somehow a bad thing to want, or that even simply trying to achieve it makes me somehow 'wrong'?

And none of this has any bearing on your preferences or decision making strategies as to what wine you choose to drink (or music you listen to, or the platform you listen to it on) as (wonderfully) that's entirely your perogative.

I'm Geoff.

Hmm. I'm wondering if this thread is approaching the end of its useful life.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Or actually getting interesting...
    Current Lash Up:

I'm paul.

Cool

Absolutely nothing.

I personally prefer bananas that aren't quite ripe.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Or actually getting interesting...
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast