+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic Research Speakers

I'm Dan.

Default Acoustic Research Speakers

Well Guys

I'm sending the AR20B Speakers off for a re foam tomorrow tested before hand on low volume to see that they work and they did and was astonished by the sound of them even at the very low volume i was testing them at. I think its a worth while investment to get them done and use them they have the original boxes ETC but also a lovely sounding speaker that makes pair number 9 i think or 8 lost track .

Cosmetically they need a touch up but otherwise fine little chunk missing on one of the cabs any idea on how to touch this up.?

What are the well rated modals of this brand? they seem to vary with early modals going for a lot of money i have seen from past eBay listings...? The AR20B is a sleeper too i have read.

I think i wont see them for another month so will update this thread with my results in due course watch this space.

Thank You
    Daniel
    [B]Class A , A,B Amplification[/B\]
    Marantz PM4
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Speaker Cable , Digital Coax , Interconnects
    QED Speaker Cable , Chord Coax Digital , Nakamichi Interconnect , Belkin Interconnect

I'm Dan.

Default Update....

Hello

I have been doing much research on these i have found out they were ACOUSTIC RESEARCH CONNOISSEUR SERIES 20B Speakers made between 1982 - 1988 and are quite sort after but they look beautiful though i cant wait to get them home if only i had the matching stands.....

Brochure of the series plus spec's in the photos attached....

Thanks
    Daniel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Marantz PM4
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    QED Speaker Cable , Chord Coax Digital , Nakamichi Interconnect , Belkin Interconnect

I'm Martin.

Don't think I've ever heard any but their good reputation is well documented

How long will the re-foam take?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Don't think I've ever heard any but their good reputation is well documented

How long will the re-foam take?
    Hi Martin,

I was quite surprised on how well this series look aesthetically & the brochures look well presented i guess they dont come up often...

I suspect another couple of weeks for the re foam but calling the guy tomorrow for an update....
    Marantz PM4
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Geoff.

If you like those Dan, keep an eye out for the earlier AR4Xa. They sound really sweet and have cloth surrounds that seem to last forever.

Or if you want a rare treat, a pair of AR5 or AR6 speakers. Both have foam surrounds that eventually need replacing, but sound excellent. The AR5 is a bit of a 'sleeper'. I some ways it's better than the classic top of the range AR3a, but commands much lower prices.

KLH speakers and the even rarer early Advent models were also designed by the same guy that did the early ARs, Henry Kloss. His designs were great.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

[QUOTE=dantheman91;753582]I suspect another couple of weeks for the re foam [QUOTE]

Rush job, then
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm jamie.

i can vouch for klh,i have a pair of model 23's,they are very good,they are rare over here so if you see some grab them.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Dan.

Re foam done hopefully collecting the weekend - watch this space....
    Marantz PM4
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Dan.

Their home and sounding very special indeed excellent treble also clean and tight bass after a few hours running in their getting cleaner and more refined also their gorgeous things to look at...

Very Happy

These were bought local in Christchurch says so on the box.....

Pictures to follow....
    Marantz PM4
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm jamie.

oooh that reminds me of many a happy childhood holiday at pontins wick ferry,tucktonia blew my mind as a 10 year old boy!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast