+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard 301 restoration project

I'm Andrew.

Thanks Ralph!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mikkel.

Hi Andrew,

Read through your 301 thread. I'm giving my 401 the full make over at the moment, and was curious about the Phoenix project.

Still running it on your 301? And where did you fit the magnet on the platter as to not interfere with the idler?

I'll be putting on a brass platter, so might change thing somewhat as well.

I'm Andrew.

Hi,

My 301 is slightly different in that I run a Garrard 401 bearing which is mounted on x3 1mm shims to give it enough clearence to work on the 301 and the Pheonix speed controller which still powers my 301. I placed the magnet under the lip of the platter. The PCB is mounted externally just under the platter. I'm listening to it now!

Regards

A
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mikkel.

Thanks, that's very helpful Andrew - you still running it, suggests the system is good and recommended. I'm waiting for a new oversized bearing from Shaun at Peak Hifi, as the Shindo-style heavy platter will flex and put too much strain on the original. Just thought that with the deck apart, the niftiness of the Phoenix bits, would be a worthwhile contribution.

I'm Mikkel.

What precision shims did you use for jacking up the bearing?

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Riislingen View Post
    What precision shims did you use for jacking up the bearing?
    Now that's funny! I didn't use precision shims, just three simple 1mm width washers from some nuts and bolts I had sitting in the garage.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Mikkel.

Yeah, I'm really out of control on this thing

I ordered a Phoenix PSU/Tachy set yesterday, let's see how it all works out when I get the deck back together. There's a lip on the motor board surrounding the platter - it might prevent the sensor to sit directly underneath the edge of the platter.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Riislingen View Post
    Yeah, I'm really out of control on this thing

I ordered a Phoenix PSU/Tachy set yesterday, let's see how it all works out when I get the deck back together. There's a lip on the motor board surrounding the platter - it might prevent the sensor to sit directly underneath the edge of the platter.
    That's why you need the shims!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Look at the pictures in post #278 to see how I mounted the PCB which comes with the Pheonix. It dosen't look pretty but it works, I suppose I should mount it under the platter.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Mikkel,

You might find the original bearing design the best of all. I looked into every design that I could find and could find no evidence ANYWHERE that any 3rd party provider of aftermarket bearings for the 301 could do any better (regardless of claims). Slight changes occured in the 401 bearing and to my ears it sounds better than the 301 but this is subjective of course.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast