+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Makin' Money

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Yep, I subscribe to no making money out of sales on the forum and have lost £100 on the Alphason tonearm I was selling. I have however, been given stuff for free and at stupidly low prices so swings and roundabouts.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Yeah Id agree with you on that Oliver, the forum sales section should be a place where stuff is sensibly priced (rather than the likes of ebay etc etc) and as fellow enthusiasts we can expect a decent deal when purchasing but also that that will be in tern passed on to the next person maybe. That's how I look at it anyway (though my recent experience is that not everyone sees it like that at all).
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    Yeah Id agree with you on that Oliver, the forum sales section should be a place where stuff is sensibly priced (rather than the likes of ebay etc etc) and as fellow enthusiasts we can expect a decent deal when purchasing but also that that will be in tern passed on to the next person maybe. That's how I look at it anyway (though my recent experience is that not everyone sees it like that at all).
    Ive currently got £1000 worth of preamps sat in my front room, all on trial and more to come next week, an £825 tonearm on loan and various other bits and bobs, with no expectations from the owners, I've borrowed countless items and given speakers away for free because I've been given them gratis, if you aren't here to help expand the knowledge and experience of the members, you're not making the most of your membership.

Last edited by Bigman80; 05-10-2017 at 21:49.

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Ive currently got £1000k worth of preamps sat in my front room, all on trial and more to come next week, an £825 tonearm on loan and various other bits and bobs, with no expectations from the owners, I've borrowed countless items and given speakers away for free because I've been given them gratis, if you aren't here to help expand the knowledge and experience of the members, you're not making the most of your membership.

well said
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Everything I have put up for sale here (and AoS is the only place where I will offer the occasional item for sale) have been priced at ~ half the amount suggested by ebay sales. I do this for two reasons:

[1] Hopefully to secure a quick sale,

[2] I'm not interested in making money from the Members here; I much prefer to think the sale items are going to a good home.

Like others here I have also offered small items (such as ADC headshells and arm boards) for free. And I should add that I too have been the recipient of 'freebies'. It is all part and parcel of the helpful spirit we try to engender at AoS.
    Barry

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Everything I have put up for sale here (and AoS is the only place where I will offer the occasional item for sale) have been priced at ~ half the amount suggested by ebay sales. I do this for two reasons:

[1] Hopefully to secure a quick sale,

[2] I'm not interested in making money from the Members here; I much prefer to think the sale items are going to a good home.

Like others here I have also offered small items (such as ADC headshells and arm boards) for free. And I should add that I too have been the recipient of 'freebies'. It is all part and parcel of the helpful spirit we try to engender at AoS.
    Good man, Barry. Now about those headshell........

I'm Neil.

Very little holds its value in audio, very little is an easy sale - bar flavour of the month stuff or kit felt (sometimes wrongly) to be the thing to buy... a bit like What HiiFi 5 star kit but used. The degree of snobbery and closed minds is a sad thing, but such is life and other areas of interest have similar issues.

Vintage kit, some of it sells well in the far east, but I suspect that market will eventually dry up.

Making money on audio, only possible if you buy for very little.
    Regards Neil

I'm Mike.

I wouldn't dream of making a profit on forum bought kit and have passed on some stupidly good buys at cost. I often lose money on kit but gain in so many other ways from forum membership, so hey ho.

What really irks and I mean REALLY irks are the total idiots who say "I only want back what I paid for it a year ago", a years use and you expect to lose nowt.

How does that work then ?
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Dennis.

£1M in preamps is a lot to have around, and suggests a real passion for superb sound.

That is my passion, and a local shopkeeper is astounded that I am going to buy, subject to condition, another pair of second hand speakers for about £8k. But I love pure quality sound, and I think they will be my last.

When in any domain of passion, it irks me to come across the mercenary who mix in it seeking to make money, with little real interest or I/P of work or commitment, and ask high prices for stuff; they often look hard headed and brusque.

I want to be with those who can share the love of good sound and music, regardless of financial status and level 'up the ladder', and have an evening listening and sharing a bottle of wine..

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    £1M in preamps is a lot to have around, and suggests a real passion for superb sound.

That is my passion, and a local shopkeeper is astounded that I am going to buy, subject to condition, another pair of second hand speakers for about £8k. But I love pure quality sound, and I think they will be my last.

When in any domain of passion, it irks me to come across the mercenary who mix in it seeking to make money, with little real interest or I/P of work or commitment, and ask high prices for stuff; they often look hard headed and brusque.

I want to be with those who can share the love of good sound and music, regardless of financial status and level 'up the ladder', and have an evening listening and sharing a bottle of wine..
    Oooops,, that £1k it feels like a £1m to me though. Lol.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    to that Dennis. It just doesn't get any better than that. After all, that is what this crazy hobby is all about
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast