+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOS DACs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Geoff.

DAC's can never sound analogue. They are digital!

But I do know what people mean. Many DAC's sound a bit lean and 'in yer face'. Fortunately mine don't.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    DAC's can never sound analogue. They are digital!
    They just output electricity with a varying voltage. Exactly like a phono stage, or a tape deck does. Why would eschewing oversampling make this sound 'more analogue?' (That's rhetorical because I know the answer will be 'It just does'). In a blind comparison between an unfamiliar nos dac and an unfamiliar oversampling dac would you really be able to tell which was which?

If you want the sound of vinyl, listen to vinyl records!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    In a blind comparison between an unfamiliar nos dac and an unfamiliar oversampling dac would you really be able to tell which was which?
    Good question.

I'm Neil.

Default NOS DACs

Good question.
    Yes. I used to do blind tests with my DAC in NOS vs 2x oversampling (88.2 kHz) to correct the treble droop, which at 44.1kHz is -3.2dB at 20kHz. The rolloff is clearly audible, just listen to some cymbals, but for me, things were more musically correct and ‘together’ with no oversampling. In any case one can just apply DSP, like I do via JRIver, if one wants to try.

The Foobar2000 ABX plugin is invaluable for blind testing, just encode one file at 44.1kHz, another at 88.2kHz, and compare. Try to avoid non-even oversampling like 96kHz or the original bits will not be preserved.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Yes. I used to do blind tests with my DAC in NOS vs 2x oversampling (88.2 kHz) to correct the treble droop, which at 44.1kHz is -3.2dB at 20kHz. The rolloff is clearly audible, just listen to some cymbals, but for me, things were more musically correct and ‘together’ with no oversampling. In any case one can just apply DSP, like I do via JRIver, if one wants to try.

The Foobar2000 ABX plugin is invaluable for blind testing, just encode one file at 44.1kHz, another at 88.2kHz, and compare. Try to avoid non-even oversampling like 96kHz or the original bits will not be preserved.
    You can hear 20khz? I'm impressed.

I'm Neil.

Default NOS DACs

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    You can hear 20khz? I'm impressed.
    Yes I can hear 20kHz, it’s not exactly a tone I hear though, more like a presence. It’s there though...

Also, don’t forget that a NOS DAC will start rolling off around 16kHz.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They just output electricity with a varying voltage. Exactly like a phono stage, or a tape deck does. Why would eschewing oversampling make this sound 'more analogue?' (That's rhetorical because I know the answer will be 'It just does'). In a blind comparison between an unfamiliar nos dac and an unfamiliar oversampling dac would you really be able to tell which was which?

If you want the sound of vinyl, listen to vinyl records!
    If they could convert analogue into analogue perfectly without missing any of the original recorded information at all they would sound analogue but this is their main downfall. They cannot achieve this without missing information or just buggering it up!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    If they could convert analogue into analogue perfectly without missing any of the original recorded information at all they would sound analogue but this is their main downfall. They cannot achieve this without missing information or just buggering it up!
    I'm not sure I have a clue what you just said!

I'm James.

I'm not sure I have a clue what you just said!
    Think about what digital audio is and what job the DAC has to do. The analogue waveform is captured digitally (sampled and sliced up) It is then read from a file or CD and reconstructed by the DAC back into analogue. But digital cannot sample the sound infinitely so it misses some of the information (apparently we can't hear this) and then the DAC tries to reconstruct the information and produce an analogue output.

Our hearing can tell the difference which is why I think analogue sounds better. OK even the best analogue systems do not capture everything but even though information is missing our brain/hearing doesn't notice it so much.

I'm Geoff.

So what information is missing from the reconstructed analogue waveforms?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast