+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: the zeta is here!

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoog View Post
    Im seeing Mick at the weekend so will ask him.

Incidentally the inspiration for the Zeta was the Breuer dynamic as well as the need to build an arm to do justice to Decca's !

when you see him you can thank him for me for design such a lovely,'means business' looking arm!
    show him this thread as i will be posting my thoughts and photos of it on my rock 2.
    cheers
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoog View Post
    Like many tool makers and engineering shops, GB did do some Audio contract work -but not sure about the heybrook arm though although Its possible. Im seeing Mick at the weekend so will ask him.

Incidentally the inspiration for the Zeta was the Breuer dynamic as well as the need to build an arm to do justice to Decca's !

I didn't know that - I have a Breuer Dynamic arm (the Type 5A), and I have often thought about fitting a Decca cartridge to it, though I don't think it would be possible to use the GB mounting block with the Breuer.

Herr Breuer's designs were the inspiration for other arms: Tom Fletcher's 'Sumiko "The Arm"' is one example, and possibly the Linn 'Ittok' as well.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    when you see him you can thank him for me for design such a lovely,'means business' looking arm!
    show him this thread as i will be posting my thoughts and photos of it on my rock 2.
    cheers

I will do. The zeta is one of the greatest tonearms - its form is still being copied today - testament to its fundamental quality
    BigMooG (Jonathan Stanley)
    He says: Decca is Better

Vinyl System: Superficial Engineering hell/p12 turntable (British Leyland suspension upgrade), Jack-a-nori semi mono Cartridge (tooth pick cantilever), STI Klynik XXX tonearm (rewired with Klimacs Kable ), intelligence quotient 161 (mensa) preamplifier with 224 NOS Ssangyong ECC88s and NOS North Korean kim-jong-ill GZ34s, barelyaudible research V.P.L. dual quad mono amplifiers with modified circuit boards (MDF), Gilson W.A.L.L.O.P Ultimate Final V2 loudspeakers, uranium cable loom (mercury vapour upgrade), hysterical research and Dr Mike Amera room treatments-flock wallpaper, yergota bee-joking cryofrozen fuses throughout

Digital system: cd player

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I didn't know that - I have a Breuer Dynamic arm (the Type 5A), and I have often thought about fitting a Decca cartridge to it, though I don't think it would be possible to use the GB mounting block with the Breuer.

Herr Breuer's designs were the inspiration for other arms: Tom Fletcher's 'Sumiko "The Arm"' is one example, and possibly the Linn 'Ittok' as well.
    Mick admired the sensible quality engineering of the breuer - as for using the GB clamp in one - probably not as it may not fit the head shell....

Vinyl System: Superficial Engineering hell/p12 turntable (British Leyland suspension upgrade), Jack-a-nori semi mono Cartridge (tooth pick cantilever), STI Klynik XXX tonearm (rewired with Klimacs Kable ), intelligence quotient 161 (mensa) preamplifier with 224 NOS Ssangyong ECC88s and NOS North Korean kim-jong-ill GZ34s, barelyaudible research V.P.L. dual quad mono amplifiers with modified circuit boards (MDF), Gilson W.A.L.L.O.P Ultimate Final V2 loudspeakers, uranium cable loom (mercury vapour upgrade), hysterical research and Dr Mike Amera room treatments-flock wallpaper, yergota bee-joking cryofrozen fuses throughout

interestingly, the original Zeta prototypes were developed and listened to using an LP12 -Mick discarded this (he gave it to his daughter -who still uses it...) when he realised the Sondek wasnt up to the task! other equipment used in the arms development were a big 70s pioneer amp, a prototype mission 777 power amp, various valve amps and a ARC Sp8, also japanese direct drives (a luxman PD555 was involved) and lots of colleagues ears...every change to the bearings,bearing yoke, type of aluminum used, the finger lift etc all carefully listened to using mostly heavy rock music and prog rock - especially Gentle Giant and Tull!!

the lessons learned from the Zeta, informed the design and manufacture of the Mission Mechanic -ie entirely machined HE30 aluminum from one billet - smaller bearing yoke, no finger lift on headshell etc

I'm jamie.

bugger! put the zeta on and im down on the right channel,getting full continuity through tags to tonearm plugs so that leaves the cartridge at fault yes?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

swap the plugs over and the problem switches channel.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Kevin.

That, or the other end of the chain.

Sounds like a fault with the Zeta then.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm jamie.

really? even with continuity from the tags to the phono plugs?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Try another cartridge?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast