+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leak Troughline Stereo vs. Quad FM3. First impressions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes I agree, the original Decoder fitted into the Troughline Stereo model (aka Mk. III) is very poor, and I am sure responsible for the wooly bass.

I had intended to replace it with one using a Motorola chip, but never got around to it.

The only advice I can offer is to have your second Mk.II looked at by a competant service engineer. There are one or two Members here who have the neccessary knowledge (and perhaps also the required test gear). The alignment notes for the Leak Troughline tuners can be found here: http://44bx.com/leak/TLalign.html
    I have a Rodney Hanna one fitted with a motorola chip, works very well.
    Regards Neil

I'm Sven.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    I have a Rodney Hanna one fitted with a motorola chip, works very well.
    These decoders are - well - not easy to find these days - TdP decoder is pretty much unobtanium these days.

For what is worth - the mono performace out of, I think both of my Leak IIs, is spot on, and simple RCA splitter gives you faux-stereo (well, rather duplicated mono) performance where the bass is tight and articulate.
    The sound of the mono is just missing that last part of the stereo FM broadcast.

There is a guy in the US who makes a custom decoders for the tube - valve FM tuners, and says that the sound coming out of these tuners is pretty much what you get out of the decoder, although my small objection would be that the tuner itself got to be a good one to begin with.

+ Reply to Thread