+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System overhaul...of sorts.

I'm Justin.

Default System overhaul...of sorts.

Hi all.
    I have a system that overall I’m reasonably happy with, apart from the speakers but that’s another issue.

However, I find myself being tempted by the lure of turntables, but it’s that or an upgrade in the cdp department.

So my question for you guys is....Would spending £500 on a turntable beat £500 (plus phono) on a CD player (or transport) in terms of sound quality? Or would it just be a “different” sound experience.

Obviously I will have an audition of any equipment before plunging in, but just wanted to hear out opinions and experiences.

Thanks
    Yamaha NP-S303 / Audiolab 6000cdt
    NAD D1050 dac
    Creek Destiny 2
    PMC DB1 Gold / KEF LS50

I'm Geoff.

Or. You could spend the money on a decent DAC. £500 (or less) should get you something pretty good on the used market.

A cheap CD player into a good DAC sounds far better than a good CD player into a cheap DAC.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I think you could get something very good for £500, the obvious choice would probably be the Rega Planar 3, try and take a listen to one.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm tony.

A cheap lap top with a disk drive and a DAC ( Beresford SEG).

Rip all your CDs lossless-you wont look back.

The PC opens up the world of spotify and digital radio.....all within £500.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Or. You could spend the money on a decent DAC. £500 (or less) should get you something pretty good on the used market.

A cheap CD player into a good DAC sounds far better than a good CD player into a cheap DAC.
    Hi Geoff. It is something I have contemplated, as I currently run my CDP via optical through the Node2 DAC and its far better than the CDP's DAC.
    thanks
    NAD D1050 dac
    Creek Destiny 2
    PMC DB1 Gold / KEF LS50

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    I think you could get something very good for £500, the obvious choice would probably be the Rega Planar 3, try and take a listen to one.
    Hi Chris, that's something I plan/hope to do in next couple of weeks
    thanks
    NAD D1050 dac
    Creek Destiny 2
    PMC DB1 Gold / KEF LS50

I'm Grant.

If your already into cd in a big way, then moving into vinyl will seriously screw with your mind and finances....

A better player and a dac of good quality and your getting hard to best unless you spend big.
    You could also move into ripping your cds and playing them that way too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

A Rega DAC might give you a shock.

My Monarchy Audio DAC would give you an even bigger surprise, but you won't find one of those .

I'm Geoff.

Were it not for a large vinyl collection, I would not advise anyone to begin an investment in the medium.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Dave.

The last few years, I have sold numerous Rega RP1 and now P1 turntables to newcomers to the black art. Most of these have really got into collecting and playing vinyl and some have upgraded their budget turntable to something more refined. As an example - a customer here this morning collected a Rega RP8 + Exact which he has bought to upgrade on his RP1 bought a couple of years ago. He is very enthusiastic about vinyl replay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast