+ Reply to Thread
Page 121 of 200 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 2000

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I don't have that facility. Mine is in a download of the complete ToolWiz Care 'one click' mantenance package. Presumably the 'timefreeze' included in that is a pared down version.
    maybe.. I clicked in the box at bottom,, to open program right click and select the open. there is a switch on/off too...its hidden but there if you click on the arrow, show hidden icons
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    maybe.. I clicked in the box at bottom,, to open program right click and select the open. there is a switch on/off too...its hidden but there if you click on the arrow, show hidden icons
    I don't have that. I may download the separate 'timefreeze' and see what's on there.

(best I don't do it while the existing 'timefreeze' is running.....it won't save it! )
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

If anybody is interested in what Threatfire behaviour based A/V can do, there's a review here: http://uk.pcmag.com/threatfire-45/23.../threatfire-45

This can run alongside regular A/V software and if used with the previously discussed 'timefreeze' should make a pretty foolproof means of avoiding vulnerability to ransomware attacks and other zero day nasties and more.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 14-05-2017 at 22:59.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

I was playing around with a spare machine with Windows 7 on it, accidentally knocked the IEC mains connector and interrupted the mains. On restarting the machine got the Window repair screen. Let it run, it said it could not repair the system. I have had this situation several times with W7, XP seems more resistant to power interruptions.

I have found several times with W7, if power is interrupted and the repair screen does not work, just going into safe mode and then normal boot, seems to put things right.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    I have found several times with W7, if power is interrupted and the repair screen does not work, just going into safe mode and then normal boot, seems to put things right.
    That's handy to know. I'd probably try it anyway, but knowing in advance could be useful, because I'm fitting my PC mains lead with a plug that has an 'on/off' switch. I'm doing this because I've occasionally spotted bugs start loading and kill the computer by pressing and holding the off button, but an immediate switch off would be more successful in stopping nasties.

I just did something silly. I downloaded and installed Threatfire, but forgot to turn off 'Timefreeze'. Needless to say, it was missing on reboot!

I'll do it again right now!

I'm Geoff.

PC running well with Threatfire anti virus and 'timefreeze' activated on top of the usual Microsoft Security Essentials. Can't see any infections getting through that lot! Scan done with Spyware Expert as well. All is 'tickety-boo' for now.

I'm Alex.

I help an elderly (older than me!) neighbour with his computer on occasions, he's visually impaired and is finding reading text on his old Dell 19" monitor difficult. In Windows 7 I have tried adjusting the text size and resolution, but I think was is really needed is a bigger and better monitor. Any suggestions for something that is not too expensive?

My own 24" widecreen BenQ GL2450H is good, but not really any bigger measured top to bottom of screen, than his old Dell 19".
    Spendorman

I'm Chris.

Yes he should look at using http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=vinux
    which has support for both Braille and visually impaired persons.

and it is free

Hope this helps.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Geoff.

Hard to say. I always buy second hand monitors. My current 22" HP has given good service for years. May go for something bigger soon. I also have crap eyesight.

There's a used 24" Asus on ebay for £80 in Harrow. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-VW247...kAAOSwtGlZFa77

I'm Grant.

Win 10 has better things for visually impared.. he will get a free upgrade from 7.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread