+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My basic digital system: new Asus or old Macbook?

I'm John.

Default My basic digital system: new Asus or old Macbook?

I'm happy but ignorant as far as digital music is concerned, so opinions will be helpful. I've been using a small new Asus laptop (4Gb, 500Gb) as a source for digital music, all flac, through a cheapish DAC, and supplemented by/backed up to 2Tb of portable hard drive. I'm happy with the sound quality - indeed it occasionally seems to produce better results than vinyl or CD. But I've just been given an eight-year-old Macbook (which only has 100Gb of storage). Is there any point in using this instead of the Asus? I ask because of Apple's old reputation as "media machines". Or would there be no difference, or not worth the hassle?

I'm Grant.

If the asus sounds good then why bother. Ive not had many issues using windows 10 for audio. Maybe improving the dac at some stage if you feel you must. usb dacs all seem to sound a bit different
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm malcolm.

Maybe download and install the free version of fidelizer, it really does improve the sound.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Neil.

It is easy enough to optimise Windows to be bit perfect without using Fidelizer, but in terms of Apple vs. Asus, set up properly, there will be zero difference. What is more important to sound quality is the USB front end whether internal or external to the DAC unit. This *does* make a big difference!
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    It is easy enough to optimise Windows to be bit perfect without using Fidelizer, but in terms of Apple vs. Asus, set up properly, there will be zero difference. What is more important to sound quality is the USB front end whether internal or external to the DAC unit. This *does* make a big difference!
    Indeed, as much USB 'Isolation' as is financially reasonable...
    Cheers, Will

I'm mark.

The Mac will (probably) have optical output via the headphone socket, this MAY be useful and add some flexibility to dac choices?

I'm Simon.

I doubt it would make much difference, but you can only but experiment.

I'm Abe.

I'm rooting for the Mac..
    -abe-

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by aBe View Post
    I'm rooting for the Mac..
    I don't think there's any need to be rooting for anything.
    Common sense dictates that it makes more sense to use the Mac if it has optical on board.
    If it doesn't it's another story.

I'd see if the Mac has an optical output, and go with that if it does.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm John.

Right. I'll explore that option. As I understand it, if it has optical it's via the headphone socket which doubles as an optical output. Or have I got that wrong? Thanks for the advice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast