+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over the Moon

I'm Rob.

Default Over the Moon

After a bit of a journey, I think I may have found my streaming nirvana. I started with an old laptop, then moved on to a Marantz NA7004, spent a lot of time playing with Raspberry Pis before returning to a combination of a M2Tech Young DAC and the NA7004.

My latest purchase is a Simaudio 180 Moon Streamer. It's probably a little behind the pointy end of streamers as it only goes up to 24-bit/192kHz and no DSD - 2014 tech!. But that matches my library perfectly at the moment. The streamer can be picked up at an affordable price at the moment if you hunt around.

The 180 Mind does not have it's own DAC, which suits me fine as I wanted a streamer to act as a digital source only. So for me that's network cable connection in and S/PDIF RCA out (unfortunately I have an early Young DAC so can't take advantage of the 180 Mind's AES/EBU output).

The sound is much more textured than before. Each instrument seems to be solid with its own texture - sometime rough, but in a realistic way. I'm loving everything I'm chucking at the Moon/Young combo. For those wanting a more detailed review, there's this - or look at the review tab on the Moon product page

Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Mike.

Lovely! I have heard most people say nice things about the Mind streamers. I believe their app is quite useful too?
    As i have had a Marantz NA-7004 myself i know that it also is an excellent streamer that really gelled with my system at the time.
    The Marants UI wasnt the greatest though, but with a good sorting system on your UPnP server it was quite easy to select albums by just using the remote and the small display.
    Cheers /Mike

I'm Rob.

The Marantz web interface works - but is just horrible. Also navigating via the remote and the Marantz's screen has become cumbersome as my digital library has grown.

I found the best way to control streaming to my Marantz NA7004 was via BubbleUPnP on an android tablet. And the same solutions works for the Moon 180 Mind!

My tablet is a very old Asus with a weird Intel chip set that the Simaudio Mind software does like it. A good excuse to treat myself to a new larger screened tablet
    Rob.

I'm James.

I have heard the Simaudio Moon streamer hooked up to an Innuos Zenith MK2 Server into a DAVE DAC recently -OMG!

However all you need is the Innuos Zen (£700) + Simaudio Moon 180 + a Hugo DAC and you will be in digital Nirvana.

http://www.innuos.com/en/catalog/go/music-servers-mk2
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Innuos Zen (£700) + Simaudio Moon 180 + a Hugo DAC
    That would be a splendid combination. I have a Chord Mojo which is excellent - and would quite fancy a Hugo. However, at the moment I think the next upgrade will be a new phono stage.
    Rob.

I'm Rob.

I've had David at MCRU make me up a PSU for the Moon Mind. Just when you thought anything could get better .....

I'm currently listening to the Emily Barker And The Red Clay Halo album Despite the Snow, and Emily and the band are in the room with me. Well Emily's is near the back wall of my room, and the band behind and to either side of her. If I close my eyes - the back wall of my room disappears and it sounds as though the band are playing from the hallway behind. I can't get over how my system just seems to disappear with the Moon Mind / M2Tech Young DAC combination.

Rob.