+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Connoisseur BD1 turntable.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Geoff.

The Mayware/ADC26 combo should be nice. You probably know this, but the Mayware may be best used with the tracking force weight moved right back and the downforce set with a balance, otherwise you might have arm mass conflicts with the high ADC compliance.

The F307 was truly well built, on a par with the Quads. The contemporary Radfords/Leaks/Metrosounds and Sugdens, etc., etc., may have sounded good enough, but were not finished as well. I know, I owned them all at one time or another. The Ferrograph was always slightly prone to hum though. It came as a shock when after a couple of years I replaced it with a Rotel RA-611, which completely outclassed it in every way!

The notch on the later BD1 pulley tends to 'clip' the belt on each rotation and makes a noise, this can also affect speed stability. The speed changer can also foul the belt as the motor suspension settles, the speed can be changed by hand so easily, its not worth retaining the changer.

I think if you do a search on the net, you'll find the belts and other parts still available. The supplier was Technical & General, Box 53, Crowborough, TN6 2BY (01892 654534). I did business with them a few times. They were a rather secretive lot years ago, dealing with military/government contracts I suspect.

Just had a rummage, I've got five old belts and four new ones, two spare motors and a spare new main bearing. I expect the old belts are knackered, but I can spare a new belt if you want one, they are genuine. Make me a sensible offer if you like.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 30-06-2012 at 17:49.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The Mayware/ADC26 combo should be nice. You probably know this, but the Mayware may be best used with the tracking force weight moved right back and the downforce set with a balance
    Don't worry about that Geoff thats exactly how i have it.

+ Reply to Thread