+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: Macca's Lash Up 2: Lash Harder

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    LOL

I best not take the miscegeny analogy any further....
    Did you mean misogyny, daftee? You've just lost 25 'rep points' for your spooling earrer!

Anyway, I'm glad the Krell's giving you a chubby.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Did you mean misogyny, daftee? You've just lost 25 'rep points' for your spooling earrer!

Anyway, I'm glad the Krell's giving you a chubby.

Marco.
    Misogyny would make no sense. Well, even less sense. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Miscegeny
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

A couple of years ago now Alan (Firebottle) came around mine with an OTL valve power amp that he had knocked up from bits he had lying about.

I thought I was getting a pretty good sound, thought I had my amplification sorted, at least.

The OTL amp (I had not heard one before) sounded wonderful, I thought it to be better than what I had, not earth-shatteringly better, but a subtle improvement. This was until Alan left, I put my power amp back in the system - and it sounded worse. Not just 'Not quite as good, I'm an audiophile so I can spot these little differences' worse, but 'So much worse that it sounds broken'.

It took me a week to re-acclimatise. But you can never truly go back. I had realised amplification really matters. Okay so that is not as bad as discovering interconnects or speaker cables really matter. But still a bit of a shocker for me.

Anyway: The upshot being I love this Krell amp and if it were not an abomination of God's Laws I would marry it and have its little heat-sinked babies.

Just had to share that. As you were.
    Wonderful
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Misogyny would make no sense. Well, even less sense. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Miscegeny
    Fair dos - never heard of it!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Yes, very familiar with them - this is my third. This one and the first were standard types and the second one was the broadcast version, however, that was beyond repair, sadly. Very nice machines with great sound and a joy to use, too!

Of course, the one I really want is the SL-P50 (VU meters!!), but I don't know of anyone, anywhere who's ever seen one, let alone owned one - http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SL-P50.html
    There you go, Adam. About £3,500 with free shipping:

http://ebay.com/itm/252776640300

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

I'm Adam.

I know - there have been three on recently!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Stephen.

And you haven't snapped one up?

Bit disappointed with the look of the vu meters. Perhaps it's the dim photo to blame.

How would say your 1200 sounds compared to other players you've had?

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Default Xiang-Sheng-usb-dac-01a

Jerry (JANDL) sent me this Xiang-Sheng-usb-dac-01a to have a go on. Here's a review from a nondescript site:

http://www.sgwoot.com/2012/08/xiang-...ac-01a-review/

He said my jaw would be on the floor when I heard it so it wasn't like he was overselling it or anything , but to be honest I didn't expect to be that impressed, it's 100 dollars and the case and knobs are metal but not great quality, Jerry has had to use blu-tak to put markers on the volume and selector switches so you know where they are set to, sort of bodge I would do. The power LED had failed and I couldn't get any sound out of it at all with a Parasound transport.

This turned out to be the Parasound's fault and a Sony with a fancy fixed laser transport was swapped in and all was well.

And quite well, too. There was a disc already in the Sony, The Door's 'LA Woman' so I let that play. The opening bars had me raising an eyebrow. The Sony on its own is not that much cop, it does some things well, others badly and it has a bit of grit in the sound that only shows up occasionally but grates when it does.

None of this when it is run as a transport through this DAC though. Like upgrading the player pretty heavily in every aspect. Jaw not on the floor but I am surprised. I'm not using the tube input as for me tubes have no place in digital replay. I'm even going to use that 'no no' glyph thing that Marco uses all the time - here it is: :

This one has had the mod that lets you use the headphone volume to control the line level output so it is in effect a pre-amp, but I have it hooked up through my NVA passive with the volume at half way on the DAC - this was recommended by Jerry, I tried other volume settings but he was right. Halfway is best. Could take the NVA out altogether and it should still work fine.

Anyway listening to a bit of Creedence right now, as you do. Not great showcase recording, just a best of. Not going to bang on with musical comparisons but there's a sax crops up in a couple of the tunes, close miked, that was done very well. Also tried it with Daft Punk, Eagles, and the aforementioned Doors record and verdict: I am impressed.

There is a new version out apparently, Jerry has ordered one I think. Would say this is well worth checking out if you want to significantly improve an old budget or mid price cd player for not a lot. Jerry would say it is better than that and I think he could be right. I just haven't heard that many DACS so wouldn't want to say for sure.
    Current Lash Up:

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Hey talk to the wankers at Photobucket mate. Anyway there's a pic in the link I posted. This one I've got is not in 'mint' condition.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread