+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Decca curse?

I'm Shaun.

I had the chance to hear one decades ago on a heavily damped unipivot and it sounded bloody amazing.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by StuN View Post
    You have two elements that "take no prisoners" - the Decca and the Yamahas.
    I know as I have both!
    However the Rock should be a bonus. Have you tried adding mass to the the Alphason, or adjusting the amount of damping?
    Admittedly I use an OL modded RB300 and a retipped Decca Blue but records that sound poor with the Decca also sound poor with my other cartridges.
    Experimenting could be worth trying.
    hi, yes ive tried 20,000 cs and 30,000 cs damping fluid,the original 12,500 sounds the best to me,more open and airy.
    i already have mass at the headshell due to the damping paddle for the rock.
    i dont think anythings a miss,i just think the decca is showing up bad/worn pressing as any great cartridge would do.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    hi, yes ive tried 20,000 cs and 30,000 cs damping fluid,the original 12,500 sounds the best to me,more open and airy.
    i dont think anythings a miss,i just think the decca is showing up bad/worn pressing as any great cartridge would do.
    Daft question, Jamie. I know you're having a listen to my cables currently. Are they in your system now?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

they are indeed
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

they are indeed
    Do you think they are contributing to the "exposing" of the bad recording? They are very revealing in my system. I can tell if I take them out. Might be worth a try to put the Klotz back in. See what happens.

I'm jamie.

no mate,ive only been using them through the cd
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

no mate,ive only been using them through the cd
    Ah, fair enough.

I'm Stuart.

"hi, yes ive tried 20,000 cs and 30,000 cs damping fluid,the original 12,500 sounds the best to me,more open and airy.
    "

It certainly does that Jamie, and I know you have the paddle and that helps, but that assembly (if it is the original) weighs less than 3 grams which is very little if you are trying to raise the effective mass towards that of a medium or high mass arm which suits the Decca best. For the rebodied Blue, I add about 10gm at the headshell.
    Last edited by StuN; 12-11-2017 at 07:55. Reason: grammar!

I'm jamie.

hi stuart,i did try adding mass a while ago but it seemed to make it sound dull,dont forget my decca c4e weighs 13g,i dont know what the blue weighs,i suspect a lot lighter.
    my tonearms Effective mass is 11g.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Charlie.

Jamie,

The tin box Deccas weigh 6.7 g, so a lot lighter than the C4E. I always put a small blob of blutak between the top of the asking and the headshell to damp some of the resonance in the tin box. It has to be a small blob, otherwise the blutak separates the cartage from the red plastic mount.

Charlie
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast