+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another US shooting

I'm Grant.

Think it these modern times its probably best the fewer have guns the better. Lets face it there are a lot of folk I wouldnt trust with a water pistol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by perlogalism View Post
    I never had the chance to shoot a handgun but suppose it could be good fun. That's the problem though - is "fun" a good enough reason to hold a licence? I guess not
    From a another point of view though, by what right does the Government prevent you from owning such a weapon? That is how firearms owners in America look at it.

Also should be pointed out that in many States the firearms legislation is as tough as it is in the UK. There are Federal laws that apply to all States but the bulk of the restrictions are put in place at the State level. As a rule of the thumb western and southern states are more lax. I don't know if it is still the case but it used to be that murders by firearms were higher per capita in some of the States that had the most stringent rules, Ohio was one of the worst.

The old rule applies: the criminals will always have access to illegal weapons through their criminal contacts whilst the law abiding man is left defenceless.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

the law makers say your allowed them in usa..ie the nra
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    the law makers say your allowed them in usa..ie the nra
    The thing is, even before the NRA existed you were allowed them (in some States), because there was very little on the way of law enforcement officers and it is a very big country so you had to look after yourself. Wildlife posed a threat too. As Grandpa Simpson puts it, 'How can you have a house without a gun? What if a bear came through the door?'

So if you went out anywhere you took a gun like you would take your wallet, just an everyday thing, and vast numbers of people owned several firearms. That was never the case in the UK so it was a lot easier for us here to gradually clamp down on it. In the USA any attempt to clamp down, even long before the NRA existed, was strongly opposed, and by a lot of people.

I'm not saying that the domestic firearms market in the USA is not lucrative, but there really is a lot more to it than just money. It is mostly a cultural thing. The idea that they could just pass a law and solve the problem is ludicrous. You could stop domestic sales but that still leaves a couple of hundred million weapons already out there. Plus they would just run them in from Mexico. Would help the Mexican economy, though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

well it was written into the constitution over 200 years ago, persunably by the forbears of the nra it has of course been slightly adjusted a couple of times but not clearly. in actual fact its pretty obvious that the 2nd adm actually declared the right of states to keep their militia armed.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

I work with a guy from Atlanta. He seems just as confused as anyone here.

He said that you can go on line and order weapons and bullets. At check out time the site may tempt you to buy other things. "Customers who bought this assault rifle also bought TNT, fuses, ball bearings and body armour"

I exaggerate a little. But you get the gist. AI on a website encouraging bad things.

It is knives and acid here in the UK as mentioned earlier. All extremely saddening - I am at a loss to understand any of this stuff.

from another standpoint the UK is worse. In the US I can at least understand the lobbyists, the business interests, the NRA.

But acid? OMG.

I'm Geoff.

When I was young, teenagers with acid meant something else altogether.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Best not to use either.

I'm Grant.

It's not just here. There has been a lot of it in Asia and africa
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast