+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is 'What It Sounds Like' All That Matters'?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Dennis.

In the first period you mention Mike, I had similar equipment to you, perhaps not quite as good, but it was aspired to by most who wanted good sound, this promoted by that very creative artistic period, and it was then the high end, and affordable to those who worked to achieve ownership of it. I could not hear the difference then between I/P and O/P from my A77, and I regarded that sound as reference. My Tannoy Gold Lancaster 15s were the same as used in Abbey Road.

The eighties saw the concern with the City and money, and this I guess prompted the development of much more expensive Hi-Fi, and that period has opened the floodgates for consumer acquisition in all areas.

The really expensive stuff is not open to mass A/B comparison, but it would be interesting to see which if any of the £30k+ speakers really stood out as representing real progress.

I regard my acquisition of a second hand pair of speakers that cost £25k new, as obscene given my financial/social status.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post

I regard my acquisition of a second hand pair of speakers that cost £25k new, as obscene given my financial/social status.
    Obscene? Really? You dropped on, good luck to you. Nothing obscene about that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Nope. Avalons by any chance?. The rule for young children used to be 'obscene but not heard'. No parallel here. No idea about your social status, Martin, but I bet your financial status plummeted afterwards.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Nope. Avalons by any chance?. The rule for young children used to be 'obscene but not heard'. No parallel here. No idea about your social status, Martin, but I bet your financial status plummeted afterwards.
    All of my statuses are too low to be measurable.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Default Is 'What It Sounds Like' All That Matters'?

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Indeed. When my friends or people question the price it makes me think how obscene car buying, or designer gear, can get.

Music is a passion, daily listening enjoyment. How can you put a price on that? Be it cars, watches, computers, fishing, it all can get expensive.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread