+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tangerine Dream

I'm OneOfTheSevenModsWhoToldMarcoNotToLiftHarry'sBan.

Default Tangerine Dream

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Zeit eh? You really are a disciple aren't you Snapper?
    Yes,I really like Tangerine Dream,especially up to Sorcerer.

It all started during Easter holidays in 1976,when someone gave me a tape of Rubycon.I spent a lot of that time lying on my bunk bed in a caravan,rain hammering off the roof,listening to it on a mono Philips tape recorder.

Happy days.

I managed to get a mint vinyl pressing of Tangerine Dream 1970-1980 just last week,a four box set pressed by Nimbus.Cost me a whopping £1.84.

Do I know you from any of the TeeDee forums by any chance?
    Not me,never been on one,Dave.What one would you recommend?
    ATB

David

Wink Phaedra

Just one word Phaedra :

Dave

I'm Joerg.

I used to have the "Encore" album - Live in North America in the late seventies. I think was an interesting and somehow influential band even though I don't know if it's the kind of music I like to listen to nowadays.

Cheers

Joerg

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

TeeDee have their own forum and I'm proud to be an honorary member of the "Barmy Army!!!"

http://www.tangerinedream-music.com/...3a94f3030552cb

There's another one I post on

http://tangerinedream.myfreeforum.or...8819e88169ef88

The moderator is a lover of SET amps I understand.

My TD story - Easter or Whitsun 1974. I was seventeen and went to hear a client's system - GL75/M75EJ, Armstrong 626 receiver and JBL L26 "Decades." After the usual DSOTM and Mandingo's "Primeval Rhythm Of Life" I was asked if I'd heard of Tangerine Dream. Phaedra came out and after marvelling at the cover, I was knocked sideways by the music. I had my first epiphany listening to this album and I still play it regularly now, finding new things in it each time. Look at my reviews on Amazon UK for a bit more (as DSR).

I love this band, especially the period from 1972 to 1988 (the Chris Franke years I suppose). The solo and offshoot albums are great too. I'm also a huge fan of Redshift, the Moog Modular III belonging to mark Shreeve having phenominal "organic, analogue" power in the sequencers and the music so brilliantly influenced by TD, Klaus Schulze (I can write another essay on him too) and Node. Wonderful for checking bass reproduction in one's system.

Available on FLAC download as well as CD, try "Redshift" and also "Ether" (FLAC only)..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Thanks for the links Dave.

I've just started to D/L Redshift and Ether,will let you know later if I like them.

Re.Klaus Schulze,I have a few of his albums (about 50),but probably my fave of the German electronic,outwith TD would have to be Ash Ra Tempel - Friendship.

I'm on the lookout for un-remastered CD versions of Alpha Centauri,Zeit and Atem,if anyone can help.
    ATB

David

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I've got the Jive issued Atem you can have for a very small consideration if you like, but not the other two, as they're a bit too raw for me (and I only have Zeit on the original Ohr LP pressings, so don't need the CD at present).

You sure about Atem on un-remastered issues? TD put their own DQX (?) system on them and I think the castle issue Atem sounds amazing - more like you've entered the control room at mixdown, rather than listening from the corridor outside.............

I'm a Manuel Gottsching (Ashra) fan as well, but budgetary constraints have prevented me from buying much of his later stuff apart from @shra 1 a couple of years ago. The re-union with herr Schulze does eeem good though on the clips I've heard on the Ashra site.

Currently on my playlist from the above artists - KS: Mirage, Kontinuum and Timewind. Ashra: New Age of Earth, Blackouts and "Inventions." TeeDee: Anything my car CD gets to (Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet, White Eage, Phaedra 2005 [UGGHH!!], Invisible Limits remix (by Nick Mason). Redshift: Redshift and Blueshift pt1 (Mirage meets Rubycon)........

Amazing how well the tweaked BC2's cope with those bass lines as long as I don't want monitoring levels.....

Hi Dave

The ones I have on CD are the Castle remasters from 1996,starting with the code ESM CD.Are these the ones you're referring to?

I'll have another listen to Atem and Alpha Centauri,but to me,Zeit sounds dreadful,lots of distortion.
    ATB

David

I'm David.

I'm a right tw@t!

I've just dug my remastered Atem out and it's a SANCTUARY re-master from 2002... The other CD I refer to is from the late eighties (when I bought it) and is from the Jive era (when they also did the "From The beginning" LP box, which I have)

Now, re-issues I can take, but how many bloody re-masterings do these things need, unless the CD glass masters don't get passed on along with the production analogue and digital tapes?????

Currently playing an LP (shock-horror!!!) - Jerry Goodman & Jan Hammer - Like Children! These seventies LP's sound great on the BC2's. The slightly forward LP balance suiting the laid back BBC balance well in this instance. Got Jan Hammer's "First seven Days" and David Bowie's "Station To Station" on LP's backed up and ready to go afterwards..

Got David Bowie's "Station To Station" on LP backed up and ready to go afterwards..

I've been listening to quite a lot of Bowie recently,Live and Stage especially but Station To Station is my favourite.

Fancy a new sleeve for your LP?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=170313070826

Got to go it's time.
    ATB

David

I'm Simon.

My introduction to Tangerine Dream was the album Tangram. This just blew me away at the time and I still love it now. Exit (by the same line-up) is also very good. I also like the Froese, Haslinger, Franke line-up (Tyger, Underwater Sunlight etc).

Simon.
    System 1: Marantz CD6000OSE, Beresford TC-7520, Marantz PM6010OSE, QED QNect II interconnect, Dual CS505 Mk3 turntable with Audiotechnica AT110E cartridge, Denon DRM-700A cassette deck, biwired B&W 685 S2 speakers on sand-filled Atacama SE24 supports.
    System 2: Marantz M-CR610, JPW Gold Monitors, Chord C-Screen speaker cables, NAS drive.
    System 3 (portable): Cayin N3
    My website: Foxysounds website
    My music: Foxysounds music

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast