+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How good is better than CD?

I'm James.

Default How good is better than CD?

Hi All,

I have an old turntable in my loft... not used for a LONG time... and not particularly special (the interconnecters are hardwired thin red/white types). I have a Roland Cakewalk interface I can use with Logic and I have The Orbs Adventures beyond Ultraworld on an early "classical" double vinyl copy.

My question is this... would a 24/96 digital rip of a vinyl (as long as it's not got too many artefacts and I get a new stylus etc..) always be better than the lossless rip of the CD?

Just curious!

Thanks all.

James

I'm Grant.

Doubt it would be as good
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Your recording quality is always going to be dictated by a number of things.
    The record player's setup is going to be very important, as is the cleanliness and condition of the records.
    You'll also need to ensure that you don't overload the ADC's inputs on signal peaks with too high a signal level, because that will cause distortion.

What on earth does 24/96 have to do with anything?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Doubt it would be as good
    +1
    Cheers, Will

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Utterchaos View Post
    Hi All,

I have an old turntable in my loft... not used for a LONG time... and not particularly special (the interconnecters are hardwired thin red/white types). I have a Roland Cakewalk interface I can use with Logic and I have The Orbs Adventures beyond Ultraworld on an early "classical" double vinyl copy.

My question is this... would a 24/96 digital rip of a vinyl (as long as it's not got too many artefacts and I get a new stylus etc..) always be better than the lossless rip of the CD?

Just curious!

Thanks all.

James
    I have yet to hear a good 'needle drop' digital file. Many people claim that they can make the needle drop sound indistinguishable from the actual vinyl playback, but like I said, I've never heard it with my own ears. Every vinyl rip I've heard so far sounded inferior to the original.

Think about it for a second -- if indeed it was possible to make a vinyl rip indistinguishable from the actual vinyl playback, wouldn't many of us be prepared to drop good money for such rips? I mean, let's imagine someone has a top of the line analog rig (the dream turntable with the best fitted tonearm and cartridge feeding into the best SUT/phono preamp). Such configuration could cost tens of thousands of dollars, sometimes pushing the cost into the six figure territory. Few among us could ever dream of having such a system in our homes. Obviously, many of us have already had a chance, once or twice in our lives, to actually listen to such superior analog systems. And obviously, the quality of the reproduction via such a top notch system is vastly superior to many, if not most digital systems.

Now imagine being able to do the 'needle drop' on such dream system where the digitized copy would sound exactly like the original playback. Hey, I'd be the first to plonk big bucks into buying such FLAC files! That would give me the luxury of hearing the best possible sound quality without having to purchase and mess with such precious front end.

So the reason I'm skeptical that such vinyl rip is possible is basically there are no such perfect needle drop files available on the market.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I have yet to hear a good 'needle drop' digital file. Many people claim that they can make the needle drop sound indistinguishable from the actual vinyl playback, but like I said, I've never heard it with my own ears. Every vinyl rip I've heard so far sounded inferior to the original.

Think about it for a second -- if indeed it was possible to make a vinyl rip indistinguishable from the actual vinyl playback, wouldn't many of us be prepared to drop good money for such rips? I mean, let's imagine someone has a top of the line analog rig (the dream turntable with the best fitted tonearm and cartridge feeding into the best SUT/phono preamp). Such configuration could cost tens of thousands of dollars, sometimes pushing the cost into the six figure territory. Few among us could ever dream of having such a system in our homes. Obviously, many of us have already had a chance, once or twice in our lives, to actually listen to such superior analog systems. And obviously, the quality of the reproduction via such a top notch system is vastly superior to many, if not most digital systems.

Now imagine being able to do the 'needle drop' on such dream system where the digitized copy would sound exactly like the original playback. Hey, I'd be the first to plonk big bucks into buying such FLAC files! That would give me the luxury of hearing the best possible sound quality without having to purchase and mess with such precious front end.

So the reason I'm skeptical that such vinyl rip is possible is basically there are no such perfect needle drop files available on the market.
    Spot on. Nowhere near as good after digital recording IME and I find the whole idea of "needle drops" pretty moronic personally...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I find the whole idea of "needle drops" pretty moronic personally...
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Bernie.

Needle drops to tape (R2R) can sound amazing! My experimenting with needle drops always loses something in the conversion and I usually only do them for vinyl albums I can't get a CD copy for, or the CD version is particularly dire.
    Bernie.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post

Yes it is possible, firstly you need a custom built Class A stage RIAA preamp, secondly
    a type 1 DBX compander like a 150x, because you will never otherwise hear the full dynamic range
    LP's are capable of, thirdly a yamaha CDR HD1500. you need the hard to
    obtain and expensive integrated circuits DBX made. You need to align the DBX
    150x using the calibration procedure. Using a good moving coil cartridge and turntable needle drop
    and enjoy recording. Following recording playback - now compare A/B

and you really need one of these to hear it all,
    http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topi...grade-preview/

Cheers / Chris

I'm Russell.

It may not be "better", per say, but many people do rip their vinyl albums into digital files for convenience. The real question is, does it sound good enough? And I think, if it's done well, it can be worthwhile. It's a recording of you playing a record, so why not just play the record? Convenience of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast