+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 60 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Caiman Mods

MartinT Guest

I'm waiting for the next idea...

I'm Garry.

Some of us would just like to catch up, and are eagerly await Jimmy at Tirna's purchase of bipolar caps.
    "I'm of an age where my back goes out more than I do" - Phyllis Diller

Garry.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I'm waiting for the next idea...
    What else is there?

My thoughts are related to my SB Touch, which APPARENTLY is a pretty great solution of getting bit perfect SPDIF to a Dac.

Thinking out loud....How does the Bdac cope with Jitter?
    I'm sure its been asked before, but does "our" dac do any reclocking of the stream before it gets to the outputs or...?
    What about looking at the spdif input...any milage there?

Cant think of any other potential improvements?

Oh, I fitted the "extra" Elna cap near the power button too (as I'd already bought it...) and now my power putton works a treat
    Last edited by Gazjam; 31-05-2010 at 14:52.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by quadsugdenman View Post
    Some of us would just like to catch up, and are eagerly await Jimmy at Tirna's purchase of bipolar caps.
    you must be the gary who is on the waiting list before me
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Jim.

Well I sat down for a couple of hours this afternoon and gave the 7520 a jolly good listening to against the new Naim DAC.
    The 7520 I have is similar to Gazjams I think: Wolfsoned, Muratas, Rubycon bi-polars, Elnas, Caiman PSU, AD826 op-amp: Listening through the optical via an Apple TV with a lossless stream.

I picked out a few tracks to listen to that I know pretty well: Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen (Remaster), Led Zep - Remasters and Kraftwerk - Tour de France (Remaster): and made a few notes as I went along.

After going back and forth between the DAC's a few times for all the tracks I listened to I ended up with the following comments in all of the comparisons:

Again more 3D and a bigger soundstage, not as wide but brings the music closer to the listener. The vocal especially is in the middle of the room not sat back in the speakers. The instrumental section is definitely more 3D sounding although not as refined. A brighter sound.

This was compared to the Naim DAC which was:

Clear vocal. Solid and tight bass. Easier to pick out the instruments and vocal. The sound is sat back into the speakers. Rich sound. More detail and clarity.

A quick summary but that was the long and short of it.

If you did a blind test with the two DAC's then I'm sure you could pick one out from the other. They sound different for sure, especially in the presentation. The BDac is definitely more up front and "in your face" than the Naim. I think this is why there is a loss of refinement as it seems a bit harder to pick out the individual instruments for instance(?).

No surprise that the NDac was my preference then. (It was a fair wedge more so it should be I guess). However, the BDac certainly isn't disgraced. Far from it, and I think some folk would prefer the different presentation of the 7520. The increased clarity and refinement of the Naim DAC swings it for me though.
    Comparing the pre-Tirnad 7520, which already had the Wolfson chip in it, to the to the post Tirnad 7520 is a little more difficult as I have been without the 7520 for a couple of weeks so a side by side comaparison wasn't possible of course. I did listen to the 7520 against the Naim DAC before it went down to Jimmy though and from what I can remember it is certainly now sounding better.
    I'm also definitely keeping it too. (and waiting for the next upgrade )

Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

I'm Gary.

Gawd.....
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Garry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    you must be the gary who is on the waiting list before me
    Yip Hamish, been waiting nearly 6 weeks since I first spoke to Stan and then to Jimmy. I tried to convince Jimmy that there would be a que for the mods but he first had to purchase something like zillions's of bipolar caps upfront!!!!!!!!! Unless you can supply Jimmy with the bits (Others have already done that) we have to be patient!!!

However the Beresford still amazes me in stock form, so if it can be improved - Woww
    "I'm of an age where my back goes out more than I do" - Phyllis Diller

Garry.

I'm David.

im happy waiting for him to get the parts too...less room for error on my part!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Gary.

See my earlier post which lists all parts needed...

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...t=4580&page=34 (Post 333)
    They were delivered next day from HiFiCollective so big thumbs up from me.

Useful info for those impatient buggers like myself?
    Last edited by Gazjam; 31-05-2010 at 17:10.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 60 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast