+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY RCA cables - pure silver vs silver coated copper

I'm Adrian.

So by that reckoning your hype around the superiority of your MC SUTs s is merely manipulation of imagination?
    Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Geoff.

I see Jez got it wrong again . It's not the cables that should be covered in butter. After extensive testing it been proved beyond doubt that it's the amplifier that should be heavily buttered!!

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Lmfao 😂😂😂

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    1) What are the beneficial properties of pure silver? The only benefit of which I'm aware is lower resistance. However, the difference is only about 5% (conductor diameter and length assumed equal) and the resistance of a 1m interconnect is already vanishingly small.

2) What would be the benefit of thick shielding over thin shielding? Thick shielding between strands would keep the strands farther apart but I'm not sure what benefit that would have.
    1. I'm referring to the properties (perceived or real) that make people pay more for precious metal interconnects over copper.

2. I assumed that thicker shielding (and here I'm referring to the plastic insulating coating round the wire not any metal type of shielding) keeps out more RFI than thinner, I may be completely wrong of course. In which case I have no concerns about the thinness of the plastic around the thin strands making up my litz cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Adrian.

This reminds me of conversations with people who believe there is no benefit to be gained from leaving thier beloved AT95e £25 cart. Pointless. I will now exit the conversation, along with my highly resolving system and ears - and my self delusion. Whose self delusion...?
    Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    So by that reckoning your hype around the superiority of your MC SUTs s is merely manipulation of imagination?
    I think the "hype" applied to my SUTs is minimal compared to the hype which SUTs are generally subject to. The difference between my SUTs and most others is that I pay very close attention to the way HF ringing is dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    This reminds me of conversations with people who believe there is no benefit to be gained from leaving thier beloved AT95e £25 cart. Pointless. I will now exit the conversation, along with my highly resolving system and ears - and my self delusion. Whose self delusion...?
    I apologise if you found my comments offensive - no offence was intended. You are of course correct - belief is a very powerful thing.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    1. I'm referring to the properties (perceived or real) that make people pay more for precious metal interconnects over copper.

2. I assumed that thicker shielding (and here I'm referring to the plastic insulating coating round the wire not any metal type of shielding) keeps out more RFI than thinner, I may be completely wrong of course. In which case I have no concerns about the thinness of the plastic around the thin strands making up my litz cable.
    The plastic insulation doesn't keep out RFI, merely stops the conductors from touching each other or anything else. Actually, no, that's not quite true - it determines the capacitance between conductors too. It also has other properties which may or may not be important in any particular application. For example, some insulators will cope with higher temperatures than others. Some insulators are more flexible than others.
    Anyway, the insulation doesn't keep out RFI.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I watched Derren Brown on the TV recently. It was amazing. He's always amazing. If anyone ever doubts just how powerful the imagination can be they should watch one of his shows.
    BTW, that doesn't mean I think the effects produced by the imagination aren't "real" - it means I think all our perceptions are filtered and processed by our minds and our imaginations, so trying to discriminate between "real" and "imagined" benefits is not a trivial task at all. It may even be pointless to try.
    He is rather good isn't he Andrew?

Repeat after me:

"silver is like a speaker box......silver is like a speaker box.....silver is like a speaker box..."

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I see Jez got it wrong again . It's not the cables that should be covered in butter. After extensive testing it been proved beyond doubt that it's the amplifier that should be heavily buttered!!

No you can't quote just butter, different blends, makes and thickness have differing effects. Now margarine ......there's a test

RothwellAudio Guest

silver is like a speaker box......silver is like a speaker box.....silver is like a speaker box...

It's all becoming clear to me now...all is bliss...all is bliss

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast