+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Project ONGAKU - A project too far....?

I'm Geoff.

I seem to recall seeing Audio Note clone parts on some of the China/Hong Kong eBay sites.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

The problem is with something like an an Ongaku is that all components, wiring and layout work in harmony with each other. This takes many many years of experience and tuning component choice and layout. It can't be replicated without keeping everything identical.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    The problem is with something like an an Ongaku is that all components, wiring and layout work in harmony with each other. This takes many many years of experience and tuning component choice and layout. It can't be replicated without keeping everything identical.
    Maybe, maybe not You can have fun trying.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Yes probably. A friend on another forum built an Ongaku clone.
    who?

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I seem to recall seeing Audio Note clone parts on some of the China/Hong Kong eBay sites.
    Hmmmmmmm...... I don't think I would go down that route, I would probably rely on the experience of others for component selection.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Neil.

It's like giving me all of the ingredients for a curry and wondering why the one cooked by the master curry chef tastes so much better, or changing the ingredients and wondering why it tastes different.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Paul.

If you can know what the circuit and components are you should be able to calculate the specs of the transformers (unless they are available on the web already, but you may want to double check anyway). I would guess that you would get the transformers made by Sowter or similar rather than buying some off the shelf ones?

Unless you are planning on using identical components you are going to have a different sounding amplifier but IMO I don't see anything wrong with adding your own little twist.

I'm Deleted.

If you have never built a valve amp before I would suggest that something as expensive as this is not a good place to start.
    Account Deleted

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    If you have never built a valve amp before I would suggest that something as expensive as this is not a good place to start.
    Thats ok I'm not building it.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

You could argue that audio note uk produces a different ongaku to audio note japan but they still claim to be the same thing. They also sound very different. So what! It's how I find the sound that's important.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Deleted.

It's not difficult to build one of Audionotes kits.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast