+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken driver

I'm Geoff.

Alan is right. It's worth a look.

The sealed back cup looks removable. It could just be a dodgy soldered joint inside or a defective lead out wire from the coil.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Talking of broken drivers. Here are the tweeters from the same Pioneer speakers.

They are decidedly 'not well'. The foam surrounds have hardened and crumbled, so Oliver sent them to me to see if I could do anything with them.

First things first. Measure up and cut foam rings of the correct size.

Rings bonded to cones and the outer edge taped to the chassis edge to keep them concentric whilst the adhesive dries.

Outer surround edges bonded to chassis flange .

The stiff card trim rings bonded back in place and the chassis flange cleaned up. Job done. They work fine and still measure as they did.

They can rest for a day to allow the adhesive to fully harden, then go back to Oliver.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Nice job Geoff.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

Top notch Geoff, pity I couldn't fix the mid that was open circuit.

There was a very small discolouration of one of the lead out wires, turned out to be a spot of corrosion that had eaten the wire away.
    Try as I might I couldn't re-connect to the very short and thin stub of wire remaining.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    What are you like? Let me have a look at it Oliver, it may not be terminal.

Any news on poor Oliver's speaker?

I'm Alan.

Posted at the same time Gary. Terminal on the open circuit one. Oliver has ordered some more.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Talking of broken drivers. Here are the tweeters from the same Pioneer speakers.

They are decidedly 'not well'. The foam surrounds have hardened and crumbled, so Oliver sent them to me to see if I could do anything with them.

First things first. Measure up and cut foam rings of the correct size.

Rings bonded to cones and the outer edge taped to the chassis edge to keep them concentric whilst the adhesive dries.

Outer surround edges bonded to chassis flange .

The stiff card trim rings bonded back in place and the chassis flange cleaned up. Job done. They work fine and still measure as they did.

They can rest for a day to allow the adhesive to fully harden, then go back to Oliver.
    Wow! They look great. Thanks Geoff.

I was concerned they had been beyond help but I needed have worried !

In other driver related news, alan spent some time trying to fix the mid driver but to no avail.a perished wire from the voice coil to the speaker just kept breaking away. A replacement has been ordered from the USA (£55) so should land at the end of the month. Just enough time to get the Caps etc checked I think and maybe give the Cabs a good clean up.

Its turning into a proper project lol

Thanks Geoff, you're the man.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Its turning into a proper project lol
    Looks that way.

Bet you wish you'd never started!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Try as I might I couldn't re-connect to the very short and thin stub of wire remaining.
    Don't chuck it out though. I might have an idea for a fix.

I'm Adam.

To the OP - just a small point. Your pictures show you testing the drivers with your meter on the diode test setting - you'll get better results on the Ohms measurement range.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast