+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff you can't get anymore and things you can (at the moment).

I'm Martin.

Ladettes were around in the 1920s. Folk complained then too.

Most women make more of an effort now than they did 30 years ago. Maybe that is not such a good thing. Never been out with a women who placed much importance on appearance. Shallow women get boring very quickly no matter how good-looking they are.

Social trends come and go then come around again. Like those stretch jeans, massive trend in the late '80s, back again now.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Still available in USA apparently and plenty of other equally good varieties available everywhere...
    Sort us some proper Afghan Black or Lebanese Red then.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Ladettes were around in the 1920s.
    Evidence please (in the form of pictures) of foul-mouthed, beer-swilling, tracksuit wearing, tattooed, 'orange tanned' women from 1920.

Most women make more of an effort now than they did 30 years ago.
    Lol - you're having a larf... And presumably you're judging this from observing those parading around Stoke...?

In the 80s, in particular, with all the 'power-dressing' occurring during the Thatcher era, women definitely dressed more femininely (and by that I mean wearing dresses, skirts and heeled shoes) than is often seen now, where many are happy to slob about in baggy leggings and trainers, some also with very short hair, so you'd be hard pressed to know if it's a man or a woman.

Never been out with a women who placed much importance on appearance. Shallow women get boring very quickly no matter how good-looking they are.
    I'm not talking about 'high-maintenance dollies', whose shallow lives revolve around preening themselves, but just women who take a pride in their appearance, wash daily(!) and in some way embrace their femininity.

As for trends, well I've always admired women who shun them and create their own unique style, than merely follow fashions like sheep. Especially the idiots who wear clothes that may well be 'trendy', but that they look bloody ridiculous in!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Evidence please (in the form of pictures) of foul-mouthed, beer-swilling, tracksuit wearing, tattooed, 'orange tanned' women from 1920.

Lol - you're having a larf... And presumably you're judging this from observing those parading around Stoke...?

In the 80s, in particular, with all the 'power-dressing' occurring during the Thatcher era, women definitely dressed more femininely (and by that I mean wearing dresses, skirts and heeled shoes) than is often seen now, where many are happy to slob about in baggy leggings and trainers, some also with very short hair, so you'd be hard pressed to know if it's a man or a woman.

I'm not talking about 'high-maintenance dollies', whose shallow lives revolve around preening themselves, but just women who take a pride in their appearance, wash daily(!) and in some way embrace their femininity.

As for trends, well I've always admired women who shun them and create their own unique style, than merely follow fashions like sheep. Especially the idiots who wear clothes that may well be 'trendy', but that they look bloody ridiculous in!!

Marco.
    In the 20s they just dressed like the men of the day instead of wearing dresses. Trackies were not invented so they couldn't wear them but they would have done if they were.

80s female fashion was some of the worst, got better as the decade went on but check out an episode of Top Of The Pops from the early 'eighties to see what lows were plumbed in mainstream female clothing.
    Current Lash Up:

danilo Guest

Most women make more of an effort now than they did 30 years ago. Maybe that is not such a good thing. Never been out with a women who placed much importance on appearance.
    Shallow women get boring very quickly no matter how good-looking they are.
    Oooooh... that's telling.
    Appearance and intellect are rarely mutually exclusive.
    Quite the contrary IMO.
    Wimmen (men too who ..Choose.. to minimise their appearance aspect are either of questionable intellect or of delusional self importance.
    Certainly that's the base impression conveyed.
    Appearance is an essential aspect of modern existence. Like it or not.

I'm Geoff.

Sorry,

all these references to "they" in the discussion about "ladettes" and what females should be.

Is this some neanderthal knuckle dragging chauvinistic club? I have noticed this tendency before in some postings and I am not comfortable with it.

If it is, please let me know and I am happy to bow out!

Geoff

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Sorry,

all these references to "they" in the discussion about "ladettes" and what females should be.

Is this some neanderthal knuckle dragging chauvinistic club? I have noticed this tendency before in some postings and I am not comfortable with it.

If it is, please let me know and I am happy to bow out!

Geoff
    No, you have totally got the wrong end of the stick there I think.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Wimmen (men too who ..Choose.. to minimise their appearance aspect are either of questionable intellect or of delusional self importance.
    Where did you get that one from?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

In the 20s they just dressed like the men of the day instead of wearing dresses
    Lol, with respect, that's complete pish! I could cite so many examples that show you're wrong, but the best would be to illustrate that the 20s was the heyday of 'flappers', and so women often looked like this (extremely feminine):

...a far cry from anything a heterosexual man of that period would wear, and a MILLION miles from what 'ladettes' today look like!

80s female fashion was some of the worst, got better as the decade went on but check out an episode of Top Of The Pops from the early 'eighties to see what lows were plumbed in mainstream female clothing.
    I didn't say I liked it, but at least women then looked like women.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

No, you have totally got the wrong end of the stick there I think.
    Indeed. It's a light-hearted look/critique of aspects of different societies, not in any way meant as chauvinistic, which is the LAST thing I am, I can assure you, but we all have our preferences!

Bev, or any other registered woman here, in that respect, is perfectly entitled (indeed I'd welcome it) to critique men, in a similar way, who I agree in many cases deserve it every bit as much!!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast