+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is modern pop so terrible?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I'm not so sure that it is any more or less terrible than it has ever been. The reality is that the really bad stuff from previous decades does not survive or is so seldom played nowadays that we forget about it. My musical tastes are very eclectic and I regularly play "pop" music from the 50's onwards. Some of these tunes remain in our consciousness because they were catchy or were sung well, or perhaps just because they remind us of a particular time in our lives. I agree, that much of what tops the "hit parade" today is disposable rubbish, but it has always been that way. Go back to any of the top 20 listings over the last 60 years and I thin you will find that the vast majority of the tunes were dire. Personally, I have never taken much notice of the charts, and have always based my musical choices on what I like rather than what is popular.

Geoff
    Some enlightening stuff in the link at the top on these topics - the central point being made is that it is, indeed, demonstrably, measurably, poorer than the pop of yesteryear.

I doubt many people here listen to current pop music in any case.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 16-01-2018 at 12:11.

I'm Shaun.

LOL, the title of this thread is the reason I still listen to quality musicianship from decades ago on quality audio gear.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    The people that have true talent, are the plain/average looking ones.

It's all about looks!
    what a load of bollocks
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    what a load of bollocks
    You clearly can't see reality, for what it really is! Enjoy taking more blue pills!

S.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    That Widdle you very accurately describe, drives me fooking nuts. It's awful and totally unnecessary. Female 'vocalist' do it all the time. There is no expression or depth to it, it's just a vocal exercise akin to a gargle.
    God i thought I was alone, when I hear it i want to punch the singer in the throat. it's utter drivel... where did it come from? Where is the purity in the vocal range? It's a shame, I would imagine many of these singers can really
    sing and have great natural voices but the 'industry' has dictated they will sing this way.
    they all use voice coaches so mostly sound the same. In bygone years, pop singers had their own style.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Geoff.

Every decade through history, people have criticised the music of the day in comparison with the music of their youth. I remember my parents doing it to me, as their parents did to them.

I believe that the quality of music is as high as it has ever been, as young people have easy access to a huge range of influences that were not accessible in our day without thousands of hours set aside for digging. As always, the music in the charts is not necessarily the place you will find the good stuff.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    Every decade through history, people have criticised the music of the day in comparison with the music of their youth. I remember my parents doing it to me, as their parents did to them.

I believe that the quality of music is as high as it has ever been, as young people have easy access to a huge range of influences that were not accessible in our day without thousands of hours set aside for digging. As always, the music in the charts is not necessarily the place you will find the good stuff.
    Sounds about right to me. To be fair some of what might have been seen as crap pop controlled by the industry has now become respected, I mean early Beatles was pop controlled by managers, fame and money gave them the power to do what they really wanted to do.apparently they gave up live shows because know one listened to the music, girls just screamed at good looking blokes, pop at it's worst and best I guess
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post

Seriously the link is worth watching v

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    they all use voice coaches so mostly sound the same. In bygone years, pop singers had their own style.
    I wouldn't call them voice coaches. A proper voice coach brings out the best in an individual. A properly trained singer will have multiple modes of expression and a whole raft of skills to bring to the party.

These are cynically turning out fat arsed diva clones whose voices will only ever have one gear.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Some enlightening stuff in the link at the top on these topics - the central point being made is that it is, indeed, demonstrably, measurably, poorer than the pop of yesteryear.

I doubt many people here listen to current pop music in any case.
    ....Nor many young people....fewer than you might think....

To put some more encouraging words into this discussion, I think you might be surprised how many young people don't listen to this kind of pop music. Being the father of two daughters, now age 19 and 21, and being very connected to their (rather large) circle of friends and acquaintances, I'm always struck by the variety and quality of what they're tuned in to, and how they recognize rubbish when they hear it. I would venture to say that almost none of these kids (young adults now), listen to canned pop, except perhaps as mindless background music and then only occasionally (say for exercise tracks, that sort of thing). Tastes run the gamut from alternative, punk, metal, folk-inspired alternative, acoustic, to jazz and classical. E.g. you'd be amazed at how many young teenage boys are REALLY into the classic rock bands of the '60s and '70s -- Stones, Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd... Closer to home, my eldest has nothing to do with crap pop, but digs Ben Howard, Hozier, Mumford, City in Colour....stuff like that. Good song writing, great musicianship, lots of creative talent. She, and most of her friends, value authenticity above all, in whatever form that comes in. They're quite savvy the big pop marketing machine. You know, I was exactly like that in my teenage years -- I sought out the real stuff, and just ignored the rest. Nothing much has changed, and that's a good thing.

Best,
    Svend

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast