+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Another major (presumably terrorist) incident. Now in Manchester.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    But it was about regime change and removing a murdering killing despot. And bloody right too. It was nothing to do with wmd for me, then and now. That was the liberal politics of the uk trying to cook up legitimacy for war with the US. Most people who were a bit gullible then didn't realise it was about regime change. That was what the yanks wanted i.e. Regime change, and without them nobody was going into Iraq.
    But why did they want regime change? Saddam came to power in '79 IIRC, he was always a murdering, killing despot, that's how he got the job! 2003 they finally decide they'd better do something about it.

Fact is 'he was a sunovabitch but he was 'our sunovabitch' - until he decided to change the terms of the deal. Then he's a murdering despot who can hit the UK with an anthrax loaded missile in 10 minutes.

Whatever the specific reason it was the oil. It's always the oil. That's the only truly simple thing about the whole subject.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    surprised they didnt, but that may be the point, or one of them
    Yep no-one thought it might be an idea to fake some WMD. Or they did but decided not to risk it. Bet if Blair had the chance again he be on the blower telling them 'Just do it! Get some paint and a stencil and write 'Anthrax' on some oil drums!'

Hindsight eh?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

But it was about regime change and removing a murdering killing despot. And bloody right too. It was nothing to do with wmd for me, then and now. That was the liberal politics of the uk trying to cook up legitimacy for war with the US. Most people who were a bit gullible then didn't realise it was about regime change. That was what the yanks wanted i.e. Regime change, and without them nobody was going into Iraq.
    To be fair Simon wmd was the lie that took us there, lies rarely make things ok
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

montesquieu Guest

Useful discussion here on the topic.

https://audioboom.com/posts/5952576-...-bomber-did-it

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    But why did they want regime change? Saddam came to power in '79 IIRC, he was always a murdering, killing despot, that's how he got the job! 2003 they finally decide they'd better do something about it.

Fact is 'he was a sunovabitch but he was 'our sunovabitch' - until he decided to change the terms of the deal. Then he's a murdering despot who can hit the UK with an anthrax loaded missile in 10 minutes.

Whatever the specific reason it was the oil. It's always the oil. That's the only truly simple thing about the whole subject.
    The oil issue is a conspiracy theory idea for me. Has no credibility and anyway do the Americans actually own oil installations there and would the billions in defence spent of public money outweigh the cost to set up installations there. Probably no. They went in to get rid of him due to regime change and it was fairly obvious why. Something unprecedented happened at the time - that was 9/11, and with the Iraqi failure to comply with weapons inspectors, the Americans lost patience, and with the continued detriment to Iraq and world peace, I think it was action that was inevitable.

And if I was a Kurd and all the people he tortured, the children he imprisoned, the torturing and murders, the gassing and lives lost in wars with Iran, I think it was welcome and the Iraqi people wanted it. The fall out was clearly very bad indeed, but I supported intervention because I think the people of the country deserved a chance. More than under hussein.

But the issue and going back to the thread is, as appears from the news, an IS terrorist going to Syria. And IS came about after the Iraq invasion.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    To be fair Simon wmd was the lie that took us there, lies rarely make things ok
    No we were going in no matter what. That decision was taken when bush decided it after 9/11 and Blair was effectively a passenger to stand against terrorism and world peacse and removal of threats like Sadaam, as being an ally of the US. Whatever the rights or wrongs. The wmd question was a rouse and lie that Blair had to present to the electorate to get the uk on board with us involvement, because the liberals of the uk wouldn't support our intervention in a foreign matter and without a un resolution.

But this question and the one Martin posed to me is of no consequence really to what happened in this bombing. A British man influenced by IS in Syria it seems from the sister and news today. IS didn't even exist at the time of the Iraq invasion.

I'm Martin.

The oil issue is a conspiracy theory idea for me.

See I don't understand that. Oil is the fundamental that underpins the economy and everything we take for granted in our lives. Iraq has the largest known and easily accessible oil reserve on the planet.

How can that not be a factor? Who owns the oil and gets the revenue is not so important. The guaranteed and continuous supply of oil is what is important. If that stops, or even stutters, economy falls over.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

No we were going in no matter what. That decision was taken when bush decided it after 9/11 and Blair was effectively a passenger to stand against terrorism and world peacse and removal of threats like Sadaam, as being an ally of the US. Whatever the rights or wrongs. The wmd question was a rouse and lie that Blair had to present to the electorate to get the uk on board with us involvement, because the liberals of the uk wouldn't support our intervention in a foreign matter and without a un resolution.

But this question and the one Martin posed to me is of no consequence really to what happened in this bombing. A British man influenced by IS in Syria it seems from the sister and news today. IS didn't even exist at the time of the Iraq invasion.
    Never the less wmd was a lie fed to us. Who started this? I couldn't give a shit anymore.killing kids anywhere in the world is the work of cowards
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm joe.

The regime change thing went well, didn't it? I expect the vast majority of Iraqis would prefer to have Saddam back in charge rather than the chaos left behind after he was toppled.

I'm James.

With respect of Iraq war,we were lied to.isis have released a press release, they hate us, westerners, because of of our beliefs, no mention of why they kill other Muslims, bunch fookwits

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast