+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon 103SA

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'd much rather have a DL103D with the elliptical stylus.
    Why? Having not heard either it's just for interest.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Why? Having not heard either it's just for interest.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I don't like the Shibata stylus profile, and when Practical Hi-Fi did a review they disliked the 103S and preferred the 103D.
    Barry

montesquieu Guest

I don't like the Shibata stylus profile, and when Practical Hi-Fi did a review they disliked the 103S and preferred the 103D.
    Bit sweeping that no? - unless you are talking about just the 103S, there's lot more to a stylus assembly than a cantilever and a tip and overall implementation matters enormously and the SA may not be exactly the same beast.

Beyond that, I've heard a few cartridges sound superb with the Shibata stylus profile (not least the Miyajima Shilabe and of course the Miyajima Madake I'm running at the moment. Needs careful setting up but all cartridges do especially at this level.

I bought a 103SA once but it arrived with the stylus guard loose and the tip broken off so I didn't get to hear it

I'm jamie.

well i can tell you hand on heart,im not missing a fine line or shibata tip right now with this cartridge oli.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Bit sweeping that no? - unless you are talking about just the 103S, there's lot more to a stylus assembly than a cantilever and a tip and overall implementation matters enormously and the SA may not be exactly the same beast.

Beyond that, I've heard a few cartridges sound superb with the Shibata stylus profile (not least the Miyajima Shilabe and of course the Miyajima Madake I'm running at the moment. Needs careful setting up but all cartridges do especially at this level.

I bought a 103SA once but it arrived with the stylus guard loose and the tip broken off so I didn't get to hear it
    The SA has a spherical tip.

The Shibata stylus profile was designed for the replay of quadriphonic records (specifically CD-4) and whilst I have only heard one cartridge fitted with it, and so ought not to generalise, I didn't like what I heard: the treble was far too 'hot' and dominant. I much prefer 'fine line' or elliptical stylii and have several moving-coil cartridges fitted with them.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Yes. JVC's 'CD-4 Discrete' if I recall was one system (were there other record ones?). The fine Shibata stylus edge being needed to read the carrier signal modulations for quadrophonic rear infomation as well as the front stereo signal. I remember quad purposed Shibata stylus cartridges being slated for being too ruthless at the top end when playing regular steroe records.

montesquieu Guest

The Shibata stylus profile was designed for the replay of quadriphonic records (specifically CD-4) and whilst I have only heard one cartridge fitted with it, and so ought not to generalise, I didn't like what I heard: the treble was far too 'hot' and dominant. I much prefer 'fine line' or elliptical stylii and have several moving-coil cartridges fitted with them.
    Plenty of reasons a cartridge can have hot treble other than the stylus profile.

I'm jamie.

well im certainly not sitting here thinking wheres all the detail gone? so what gives? all i can think of right now is the profile of the diamond is not the be all and end all.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    well im certainly not sitting here thinking wheres all the detail gone? so what gives? all i can think of right now is the profile of the diamond is not the be all and end all.
    Sphericals can sound fantastic, I just bought a spherical MC myself (Ortofon SPU #1S). And you are right there is far more to overall performance than the stylus profile.

I'm Geoff.

The DL-103R does not lack detail and that also has a conical tip. Perhaps the same one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast