+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tubehunter Class D Stereo Power Amplifier

I'm Neil.

Seems like Class D is coming of age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Geoff.

I have a reasonably powerful (60 watt) ten year old Tripath power amp that sounds very good indeed. No lack of body and clean with great transparency.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Edward.

Adam (Westlover) was over last night and we had a listen again to the Class D amp vs. the Radford. I have a custom thingamajig device that allows me to switch transparently between amps. Whilst the amps are different (in addition to the sound pressure levels) both are highly engaging, musical and, dare I say, emotional. The art of sound in other words.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have a reasonably powerful (60 watt) ten year old Tripath power amp that sounds very good indeed. No lack of body and clean with great transparency.
    I bought one of the original battery powered Sonic Impact Tripath amps without knowing anything about class D or Tripath chips. I have now moved on to a pair of Nuprime monoblocks and I can confirm that class D has certainly come of age!

Geoff
    Last edited by Sherwood; 28-10-2017 at 19:50.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I bought one of the original battery powered Sonic Unity tripath amps without knowing anything about class D or Tripath chips. I have now moved on to a pair of Nuprime monoblocks and I can confirm that class D has certainly come of age!

Geoff
    Geoff - which Nuprime monoblocks did you go for? I tried an STA9 stereo and thought while it wasn't **quite** there compared to a good valve amp, I thought it wasn't that far away. (Tannoys are fussy about amps in any case). I remain curious as to how a pair of monoblocked STA9's, ST10s or indeed the latest Nuprime Reference monoblocks would compare.

I tried to fit in a visit to Nuprime's HQ last time I was in Taiwan (in April) but I didn't quite manage it, but I'll definitely make an attempt to get there at some point next year.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Geoff - which Nuprime monoblocks did you go for? I tried an STA9 stereo and thought while it wasn't **quite** there compared to a good valve amp, I thought it wasn't that far away. (Tannoys are fussy about amps in any case). I remain curious as to how a pair of monoblocked STA9's, ST10s or indeed the latest Nuprime Reference monoblocks would compare.

I tried to fit in a visit to Nuprime's HQ last time I was in Taiwan (in April) but I didn't quite manage it, but I'll definitely make an attempt to get there at some point next year.
    I use a pair of STA-9s in monoblock mode. In stereo mode a single STA-9 is good but the performance in bridged mode is rather different: more valve like though the noise floor is extremely low. Superb transients, weighty and extended bass, and very musical. On first use, I did think that the treble may have been a bit rolled off, but that may have been a burn in issue as that is not the case now.

Geoff

montesquieu Guest

I use a pair of STA-9s in monoblock mode. In stereo mode a single STA-9 is good but the performance in bridged mode is rather different: more valve like though the noise floor is extremely low. Superb transients, weighty and extended bass, and very musical. On first use, I did think that the treble may have been a bit rolled off, but that may have been a burn in issue as that is not the case now.

Geoff
    Yes I'd love to have tried a pair rather than a single but there's no UK dealer or distributor and the Dutch outfit I went to wasn't terribly helpful.

I'm Geoff.

Yes I'd love to have tried a pair rather than a single but there's no UK dealer or distributor and the Dutch outfit I went to wasn't terribly helpful.
    I bought mine directly from www.sonicunity.com

I believe they offer a 45 day trial so that may be one way to try out a pair.

Geoff

montesquieu Guest

I bought mine directly from www.sonicunity.com

I believe they offer a 45 day trial so that may be one way to try out a pair.

Geoff
    Sonic Unity are in the US. Don't fancy my chances of getting the 20% VAT or the fat courier brokerage fee back should I decide not to keep them ...

I'm Geoff.

Sonic Unity are in the US. Don't fancy my chances of getting the 20% VAT or the fat courier brokerage fee back should I decide not to keep them ...
    Fair point re vat but they shipped them very cheaply. Alternatively you can come and hear my pair and visit Sherwood Forest at the same time! At around £1,000 for a pair they are the best 290w per channel amps on the market at present in my view.

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12